OMG all this stuff about gear is making my head hurt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HI,
ok. god im such a newbie. whats a BP/W? If that a kind of BC or something? I have chute 3 and i like that.

I'm a real newby as for as diving is concerned. Just wanted to say is that last week I went to Florida and wanted to dive. Before I left I talked with my LDS. They offered me a reg. with octo., SPG, and analog depth gauge, and a BCD similuar to what I certified with to rent on a per dive day basis or if I liked the combination an offer to purchase. The reg. was pulled new 5/18/04 for dive class. My LDS also said that they would service any equipment they sell for no labor plus parts and that the warrenty would apply to the reg. As far as I can tell saving the $30 - $60 service fee each year per piece would more than compensate for the extra expense over another supplier. I also don't have to pay in full in lump sum, I can pay in time. The reg. and BCD are used. The reg is a Trident w/ Trident octo., the BCD is an Aqua Lung Maverick. Can get both for $500 seems like a good deal to me.

SHARKBAIT94:
HI,
ok. god im such a newbie. whats a BP/W? If that a kind of BC or something? I have chute 3 and i like that.
A BP/W is short for a Backplate/Wing BCD, it is a back-inflate system, the BCD bladder wraps around the side of the tank, and your weight is between your tank and your backplate. From what I have seen and heard, it is much more stable on the surface and at depth than a jacket-style BCD.

I'm a big fan of buying gear from my LDS because they're a great bunch of guys and have been phenominally helpful.

However, where you go depends entirely on if you like the dealers in your area. If they treat you poorly, or you don't like them for some reason, buy from whoever you want (online or in person). It's your money.

FWIW, your equipment (regs and tanks) will need periodic service, which is easier to do in person, although possible to do via UPS, and air-fills, which are pretty much impossible to do without having a place to bring your tanks.

Terry

SHARKBAIT94:
Hi outlawaggie,
thanks for the reply. But I thought buying off line was a big no no (Larry no offense please this is what we are told in class but I do love your site and price made me a little giddy and envious)

Back
Top Bottom