Omega 2, how it works?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nicediver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello,

I like a lot the second stage Omega 2 (I have 7) and I'm looking some documents like skechs and/or drawings explaining how it works.
Of course I'm not looking for anything confidential from Oceanic.
Can you give me some advices or help.
Many thanks,

Michel

Hi Michel - I received your email asking for the same, just have had a hard time finding the time to search the archives.

Here's a brief description - and basic images to illustrate the concept.

The Omega servo-valve is actually a two-stage valve. Just a small sip through the orthodontically designed mouthpiece opens the servo mechanism or lever arm. You work against the tiniest of springs, making breathing underwater as natural as on land. Air flow from the servo valve creates a vacuum which immediately opens the main valve diaphragm allowing air to flow through the regulator to the mouthpiece. Instead of one small port to provide air flow from the first stage, the Omega II has porting around the entire main valve. With less restriction from the first stage, the Omega II creates maximum airflow regardless of depth. The unique housing shape allows exhausted air to rise beside your head not directly in front of the mask like most other regulators.

pilot_valve.jpg

These pic's are even better than the one in the tech.manual.

Hi Doug,

Thank you very much for your explaination.
Could you please also explain why there is some water in the Omega 2 second stage plastic housing. I'm sure there is a reason but it's not so clear for me.

This water is not a problem for me because I created a small angle between the mouthpiece and the plastic housing and by that usually the water is below than my mouth and it's ok like that.
Sorry if I'm unclear because my english is not so good, I can send a picture if needed.

Thanks to you again for your support.

Michel

Like snorkels, regulator second stages will retain some water after clearing - with a conventional second stage, this water sits down near your chin - with the Omega - the mouthpiece is inline with the exhaust valve. You have done exactly what I would recommend - you may also try adding a swivel to the second stage (the hose tends to weigh down the second stage, making the exhaust valve higher than the mouthpiece - swivel helps) - the other recommendation is to tilt your head left a bit when clearing - this will help water "run downhill" - out the exhaust.

Doug-

I am hoping you will answer this posting.

Does Oceanic still manufacture the Omega II?

Is it produced in an Octopus Yellow?

I could not find it on the Oceanic web page.

Thanks,

Read

Doug,
Would you Oceanic US be able to supply me with a part for an Omega II?
The part number is 3845 - (Screw - Control Valve).
My local dealer will need to order one from the US and I was wondering if I could order one directly to save a bit of time.

Doug,

I have used the Omega's for many years. Any other reg seems unnatural to me. I was bummed when they stopped production. I snagged a couple of new ones from a diveshop closeout to keep for spares.

I heard rumours several years ago about an Omega III. Any such thing in the works?

Thanks, FD:D

Hi Doug!

For what it is worth I thought I would put in a vote for the Omega II. I have been diving with one for a few years now. It is great for U/W photography, nothing gets in the way. It does breath a little wet but no worse than a snorkle. Is it really that hard to tip your head to the left every once in a while? Besides, no cotton mouth/dry throat as the air is nicely humidified! Did I say it breathes really nicley at any depth? All without having to fiddle with any knobs, dials, etc. What is it divers like about all those adjusments anyway? Hope you like the picute.

Attachments

• DSCN0247.jpg
    DSCN0247.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 65

Back
Top Bottom