OMD Em5 with OLympus housing and 60mm lens - Whats not right in settings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you very much Jack. I will try to get it but my wifi is VEEEERY SLOW.

Coroander, Alex Mustard, and Kelli Dickinson all use pretty similar settings for the E-M5. The settings are really not much different than my E-PL1 settings.

On my E-M5 I programmed the F2 button for underwater mode (BF/LF), then select either BF/LF, and the strobe fires in the down position. I can change picture taking modes and the strobe still fires in the down position. I can turn the camera off and when I turn it back on the strobe still fires in the down position without have to select BF/LF again. What confuses me is that after doing those steps if I change the F2 to another function, the strobe no longer fires in the down position. So does some function button always have to be programmed to underwater mode BF/LF?

Nice! Thanks.
How would these be different for the E-M10?
[added: this was responding to Jack's E-M5 setup info...]

Last edited:
Coroander, Alex Mustard, and Kelli Dickinson all use pretty similar settings for the E-M5. The settings are really not much different than my E-PL1 settings.

On my E-M5 I programmed the F2 button for underwater mode (BF/LF), then select either BF/LF, and the strobe fires in the down position. I can change picture taking modes and the strobe still fires in the down position. I can turn the camera off and when I turn it back on the strobe still fires in the down position without have to select BF/LF again. What confuses me is that after doing those steps if I change the F2 to another function, the strobe no longer fires in the down position. So does some function button always have to be programmed to underwater mode BF/LF?

I learned this today:
If you use the Olympus housing the Fn2 button will need to be programmed to underwater mode (big fish/little fish) for the flash to fire in the down position. I have the Olympus housing. Apparently with the Nauticam housing the flash is raised so the Fn2 button can be programmed for other functions. I think that is why I have been confused when reading camera setup information from different E-M5 users.

From the article I referenced above:

FLASH SETTINGS FOR UNDERWATER HOUSINGS (Optical Ocean Addition)
If you have the Olympus housing or another housing that requires the flash to be in the down position and you are using a strobe - follow these steps:
(Make sure your camera is not in iAuto when going through these steps.)
Step 1 -> Menu

Step 2 -> Scroll down to the picture of a gears

Step 3 -> Use the right arrow to go into custom menu

Step 4 -> Scrool down to "Button/Dial"
Step 5 -> Use the right arrow to go into "B. Button/Dial"

Step 6 -> Find "Button Function" and press the right arrow

Step 7 -> Chose either "Fn 1" or "Fn 2" (function)

Step 8 -> Use the right arrow to go into Function Button setting
Step 9 -> Scroll through the different presets for functions until find the symbol with 3 fish & 1 fish

Step 10-> Press OK
Step 11-> Press menu button 3 times or press the shutter release button once to exit the menu

At this point the flash will fire when in down position.

Step 12-> To get out of underwater mode switch between different modes, ex shutter to aperture back to shutter

You do not need to leave the camera in underwater mode for the flash to continue working in the down position.
You only need to do this when you first set up your camera.

---------- Post added February 9th, 2015 at 11:27 PM ----------

Nice! Thanks.
How would these be different for the E-M10?
[added: this was responding to Jack's E-M5 setup info...]

Not sure. My guess is that they are going to be similar, but you don't have quite as many options. Reading through the article and looking at your menus, you should see some of the same or similar items.

Jack, Thank you so much. Sort of new to this (again) but making sure i understand, uw mode sets a few settings automatically, but that switching to some other mode then back to manual restores all manual functions as if uw mode was not controlling the camera?

I recently picked up the EM-5 and the Oly housing. I have followed the steps listed above and can get my strobes to fire with no problem. I however have a problem with sync. When shooting with strobes attached they fire, but they do not light the subject even when aimed directly at them at very close range. It appears I have an issue with sync speed. This occurs across the F scale from 5.6 all the way to 22 and shutter speeds from 60 to 250. this is using the 60mm lens. Any thoughts?

Bill

I haven't taken my camera out in awhile but from my notes that I put together from settings I found posted (Wetpixel - Underwater settings for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 - Digital SLRs/Housings - Wetpixel :: Underwater Photography Forums - very good link IMO), I use the following:

Shooting menu 2
RC mode - Off. I use Sea & Sea strobes.

Custom Menu
X-Sync - 1/250
Slow Limit - 1/15. I shoot manual almost all the time.

If I leave the EM5 off for awhile (storage) I generally have to reset all settings and take photos in a mirror to check flash sync. Infrequently it has lost settings on dive trips - not sure exactly but I think battery swaps. Also assuming it is a sync problem but it sounds like it if the stobes are firing.

Btw I use fiber cables from the internal flash so no TTL.

I got the strobes to sync when they are set to ttl. How can I get the strobes to be in sync with both the camera and strobes set to manual ? I am using inon D2000 strobes. Thanks,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom