Oman in Febr. 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shadow of the Deep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am planning a 2 weeks trip to Oman for some diving next year in Febr. Would appreciate some feedback/info on:

1) I plan to dive in Muscat area. How is the visibility and what temperature can I expect
2) Any recommendations which operator to chose
3) I read quite some mails about the "red tide".... Is this the period it normally appears and is it a yearly occurrence.

Thanks for all the info; it is much appreciated.

I am planning a 2 weeks trip to Oman for some diving next year in Febr. Would appreciate some feedback/info on:

1) I plan to dive in Muscat area. How is the visibility and what temperature can I expect
2) Any recommendations which operator to chose
3) I read quite some mails about the "red tide".... Is this the period it normally appears and is it a yearly occurrence.

Thanks for all the info; it is much appreciated.

Hi - Muscat and the surrounding area is pretty much the best diving in the gulf region - especially the Damaniyat islands. Ok for your q's:

1. viz will vary between 5/8m and 15m. temperature will be around 23/24. 5mm full length
2. Oman Dive Centre is the biggest and msot established - European run, there is also Global Scuba, who are fairly new and expat run too - based at the Aviation club. They dive the Damaniyat islands daily. Al Suwadi resort and Dive centre is about 1 hour out of Muscat and in a great location - but the resort is a bit of a dump and the dive centre boats are unreliable. there are other operators but I am not familiar with them.
3. There is a red tide, it is seasonal and completely unpredictable. We have had it the last two years and has been awful in places, but you can still dive in it where it isn't too bad. The worst thing is it kills off a lot of marine life though. Muscat got it the back end of last year but hasn't been as badly effected as in the North. it starts in the North in musandam and works its way down. when and where it strikes is entirely up to the tide and current. its cause is a big debate. Dont' let it put you off though - the diving is good. Just keep checking local reports.

Another source of info from a local expat diving dude:

The Endless Blue | Locations

You can contact me and I can arrange every thing for you!!!

Including pickups and diving and touring Oman,,,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom