Olympus UFL1 vs UFL2??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheTrickster

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Can't seem to find any real info on the difference between these two, apart from price!

It appears the UFL2 is twice the price of the UFL1, so would buying 2x UFL1 instead of 1x UFL2 be better??

Any information, would be mucho appreciated!

Thanks!

hi,
the ufl flashes are made by sea & sea the ufl-1 is the sea & sea ys-17 and the ufl-2 is the ys-27dx.
both are discontinued. i use a pair of ufl-1 strobes on a epl-2 and am pretty happy with it. the ufl-2
is a larger brighter flash with a guide # of 20-36 where the ufl-1 guide # is 14.
hope this helps any other questions shot me a message

It is true that Sea & Sea parts were used to build both strobes but they are not quite the same. The UFL-2 is more like a Sea & Sea housing with an Olympus FL-36 inside. If the strobe is HARD WIRED (as in not fiber optics but through a port in the housing) All of the strobes controls work like they would with a lend the FL-36 land strobe. TTL will work, you can set lighting ratios using two or more strobes, when the lens is zoomed the strobe will auto zoom, ETC. The down side is the strobe only uses two not four battries like most other strobes in its price range. This results in slower recycle times and a questionable guide number. If the strobe is zoomed (beam narrowed) for macor the guide number goes up. When it is zoomed for wide angle lenses the GN. goes down. By the way the strobes are big for their guide number and they float which can cause you to need to weight the housing down. This is not good, I what to be able to put my camera system on the bottom to free my hand and know it will not float away.

I will attach a housing review I did which includes the only review of the strobe that I am aware of.

For the money I think the Sea & Sea YS-01 and Inon S-2000 are a better value, with the Inon being the best.

Olympus E-520 and PT-E05 Housing - FourThirdsPhoto - News and Articles

https://us.buyolympus.com/ufl-2-underwater-strobe-replacement-accessories.html

Olympus Flash UWL UFL-2 [oly.260536] - $599.99 : Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros

Phil Rudin PHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-8294990.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-8294993.jpgPHILRUDIN-AUGMASTR-1.JPG-8295002.jpg

good to know phil, i had never used the ufl-2, but the pair of ufl-1 is a nice setup with my epl-2 i just need to get a focus light and im set! i see from your photos you dive cozumel any good pics? i have a pretty good one of an eagle ray from my last trip there, but was done with a poor camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom