Olympus Tg-4 Or Sealife Micro 2.0 Comparison.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They do update models, but the TG-3 & TG-4 were almost identical, only RAW and a couple of other minor changes. I've been told that there will NOT be a new model this year, the TG-4 is that popular.

Is Olympus in the habit of coming out with a new version of this camera every year?

Burhan, Olympus comes out with a new version every year or two, but imho the improvements are usually not significant (others will disagree). Personally I wouldn't worry about chasing the next upgrade.

Scott Gietler

Tg4! Be sure to look at shutter lag and how close you want focus, once I did it was a no brainer. I have the older tg3 and this was my first experience with under water photography, I have only had the camera for one year and it make me look like a professional. Very easy and user friendly. Great close ups and vivid colors (I do have a strobe). My dive buddy has a system that cost 3 times as much and I think he wishes he had mine. Great foot print and on our Bonaire trip he had pics I took blown up. I used optical oceans for my purchase and highly recommend calling them and discussing you options. When I called.them, told them what I wanted, how I dived and what my goals were they talked me out of a more expensive system. Take an buoyancy class, it is the most important thing to learn to take great pics. I also.bought a huge memory card and go for quantity over quality - on our last.trip to Little Cayman I took 1600 pics, about 75-100 were really good and maybe 10 were exceptional. Bill

I'm going through the same thought process on which camera to buy.

One other thing to think about that nobody has mentioned is that the Micro has no internal flash at all. That means that you have no choice but to add a strobe in order to have any flash light at all. That wipes out the cost differential. While the internal flashes are not great, they are better than nothing. As long as you get up close, the internal flash will help. I'm really a Point & Shoot guy and don't want the bulk of a strobe package. For me, this takes the Micro out of consideration.

Ken

I do not profess to be any kind of an expert. I'm just a diver who is looking for a new camera, just like you. I've been doing my research and have read a lot. Here is what I've gathered about the DC1400 vs the TG-4:

1) Sealife makes great cases, not great cameras.
2) DC1400 is Very easy to use.
3) Vs the Micro, the DC1400 has an internal flash like the TG-4
4) I've read that the DC1400 suffers from problems with Shutter Lag.
5) DC1400 doesn't shoot in RAW
6) As was said earlier, since the TG-4 is waterproof, if you get moisture or seepage in the housing, it shouldn't hurt the camera. Extra level of protection.

I would love to hear the experts comment on the specs and quality of images.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom