Olympus grease versus generic grease

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gilligan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I spoke with Jason Bradley, a professional photographer at Backscatter.com on June 19, 2004 regarding Olympus PT-010 main O-ring grease.

He stated the main O-ring is made of silicone rubber and therefore pure silicone grease cannot be used on it. The O-ring will absorb the grease and it will break it down resulting in the O-ring stretching.

Jason went on to explain the Olympus grease is not pure silicone grease. The Olympus tube states "SILICONE GREASE, ONLY FOR SILICONE RUBBER O RINGS". This does not mean the grease is silicone grease but instead means it is grease for silicone O-rings. He said the O-ring grease for the blue Sea & Sea O-rings is okay to use on Olympus O-rings because the Sea & Sea O-ring is also silicone rubber and their grease is compatible.

As of this post I have 64 dives on my current PT-010 with the original O-ring. It shows no signs of stretching. I use only the Olympus grease on the main O-ring.

I got about 50 dives on my older PT-010 before the O-ring stretched out to the point it would not stay in the groove and had to be changed. I used generic pure silicone grease on those O-rings.

It would seem that Jason is correct.

Good info Gilligan. I wonder if the same holds true for my canon wp-dc700. It has a yellow O-ring and a tube of "silicon grease TSK5542". Time to start investigating...

Well I just got through emailing canon so we'll see what they say. I'll post their reply in case any other canon owners need to know. I also requested info on where to obtain canon O-rings.

A good thing to know if it is a coloured o-ring, like the canons, sea and sea, or the olympus you do need to use the "special" silicon grease rather than a generic that we tend to use on our dive torchs etc... generally the coloured o-rings are made of silicon rubber.

ASB

I've been wondering about this issue with Ikelite housings since they give you a wimpy little tube when you buy the housing or strobe. I had read in the Underwater forum on Helixphoto that a guy uses regular Trident Silicone grease on his Ikelite O-rings and it works fine. Still looking for more info though. I think Olympus is misleading when they tell you that on the grease tube."SILICONE GREASE, ONLY FOR SILICONE RUBBER O RINGS"

Well it's off to Mexico, Belize, and Honduras for a month. I can't wait to get my new rig wet! Will post some cool photos(God willing)from my C-5060 upon my return.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom