Olympus Evolt e510 housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jproul, very nice work. That camera does really well.

So what are the specs? Lens; port; strobes; TTL etc? Were you using the "live" view or the viewfinder?

Where did you stay on Bonaire? Which dive sites were the photos taken at? I going back April 5th.

IMO the E 410 would be just a bit more compact for u/w use, but I like the extra battery capacity of the E 510. If I was getting the Ike housing, then probably would go with the E 510. RTRski's comments about the functionality are also a disappointment regarding this camera.

Presently I will stay with the SP 350. Looks like the only other camera out there I would consider (and afford) would be the Canon G 9.

I think you've got your lighting and exposures down. Your shots are really crisp so that's good as well. You probably could work on your composition a little. The butterflyfish is the best composition. There's good eye contact and its almost level with the camera. The trunkfish is nicely lit and sharp but the subject isn't being that cooperative. Can I ask what lens you used?

but I like the extra battery capacity of the E 510.

I've burned up a 2 and 4 gig card with one battery in the E410. The live view has two modes but like any DSLR with only 1 sensor there's a slight delay after getting the exposure and the photo actually being shot because the mirror has to move back into place in order to take the photo. The E330 avoids this in B mode because they put a separate sensor for the viewfinder inside the camera. So while that sensor is driving the display, the camera can instantly take a picture. All of the recent live view cameras (Canon, Nikon, and Olympus E410.510) only have 1 sensor. Therefore when you want live view the mirror has to move out of the way then back again when you want a shot. This does two things. First it means a delay after depressing the shutter of just under a second. Secondly, while you're taking the shot your live view will go black again until the shot is taken and the mirror has moved out of the way. After using this underwater a couple of times I realized it would only be of value when photographing sedintary subjects. A final note is this. I had the SP-350 and there were occasions when the sunlight would drown out the LCD, or a subject would get lost in the LCD. I've found the transition to the viewfinder an easy one. Its clear, bright and you can adjust it for your eyesight. After using it a couple of times, I don't think I'll ever use the live view. The speed of the lowlight focusing, superfast shutter and the ability to take one picture after another far outweigh the LCD issue. Furthermore, the cost to upgrade from an SP350 isn't that much. The housing, port and Camera can be had for about $1500. that's my two cents.

i was using the normal 14-42mm and 35mm macro and fisheye 8mm . on the pictures
that i have put on Flikr , i am not very sure wich lens i was using ... i just ordered yesterday the zuiko 14-54mm ...going back to Bonaire the 17th so i give it a try .

i don't use the live view because it takes to much time to take the shot ... i am learning slowly and i have no photography background at all ...so i am starting far behind ... i took like 2500 pictures if not more than that and only 25 are not too bad.

i 'll put more pictures in flikr later today.

UN site is only in Japanese. Š”Ž®‰ïŽÐƒ†[ƒGƒkm…’†—p•iF‚»‚Ì‘¼n

I use PT03 with Athena port and 67m lens adopter arm with UN PCU-01 close up lens
ƒAƒeƒiH‰› (this Athena site is in English)

Thanks..that's exactly what I was looking for to extend the capabilities of my 14-42 lens without going overboard. I have the Olympus PP-E05 port...I wonder if these will fit? Do you know a vendor with good pricing on the setup?

i was using the normal 14-42mm and 35mm macro and fisheye 8mm . on the pictures
that i have put on Flikr , i am not very sure wich lens i was using ... i just ordered yesterday the zuiko 14-54mm ...going back to Bonaire the 17th so i give it a try .

i don't use the live view because it takes to much time to take the shot ... i am learning slowly and i have no photography background at all ...so i am starting far behind ... i took like 2500 pictures if not more than that and only 25 are not too bad.

i 'll put more pictures in flikr later today.

There are a lot of great sites to learn (I just started about 2 years ago).
Underwater Digital Photography - Digidiver.Net
Wetpixel.com :: Underwater Photography and Videography

I'm not sure if you've read through this site's pinned threads by Alcina but she does an excellent job of covering the basics with quite a few cameras. If you make a purchase through UnderwaterPhotography.com - #1 site for underwater photography, underwater cameras, video, and camera housings since 1996. you get free online tutorials on their site. Kelpfish.net has a good tutorial..especially on lighting. My suggestion is to read and then dive in a pool to test out what you learn. When I first started taking photos underwater I snapped a ton and had similar results to you. As I dived more I became more selective and actually started to think underwater instead of just snapping and moving on. When you dive as infrequently as I do its tough to discipline yourself to spend more time with a subject. Some I have regretted leaving to this day. So my little addon is to take your time and if no one else is needing a photo, take as long as you can with interesting subjects.
One other item of note, although getting addicted to the benefits of Photoshop isn't good it can help those fringe shots become nice shots with minor adjustments. So if you're not shooting in RAW and using Photoshop, you should be. :coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom