Oly C-750?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

due out about now in Japan around the US $600 mark so I would be surprised if you can get it for that price.

My chart is at home with all the comparison stuff.

Jonathan

F 2.8 is not necessarily too slow a lens to be using. My Sea & Sea MM II-EX only goes to 3.5 and the Nikonos standard 35mm lens goes to F2.5, which isn't much different. The zoom, though, underwater, will do you almost no good. It will certainly out-zoom your flash's lighting capability. Before I bought my MM II-EX, I looked into buying a housing for my Nikon Coopix 5700 digital (which ia a GREAT land camera, btw). What convinced me not to go that route, was Ikelite's suggestion that the lens on my Nikon does not go WIDE enough for UW photography (and they recommended getting a different Nikon even though they sell a housing for the 5700!). As I've read everywhere, UW phtography is all about wide angle lenses and/or getting close. Hope this helps. So, the important question is how wide is the lens on the Olympus and how close will it focus.

Michael

If you get a chance, check out Jonathan's link and see if anything jumps out at you as inferior

I will be making comparisons to the C5050 but only as a reference to the (little) experience I have with it.

C750
RRP: 75000 JAPANESE YEN (approx.625 USD)

The lens is not as bright as that of the C4040 and C5050 but is more than compensated for by a whopping 10x zoom which is a big advantage on land. UW, I rarely use the C5050 at the widest apertures anyway because of the poor DOF and I also have an external strobe. On the wide side it's just a bit not-as-wide (38mm) than the C5050 (35mm). Generally people prefer a wider lens UW.

Normal focusing distance extends from 23.6 inches (60 centimeters) to infinity, although the near limit is strongly dependent on your zoom setting, ranging from 23.6 inches at full wide angle to 6.6 feet (2 meters) at full telephoto. The C-750 offers two Macro settings, the normal one covering from 2.7 inches to 2.0 feet (7 to 60 centimeters) at wide angle, and from 3.9 - 6.6 feet (1.2m - 2.0m) at telephoto. Through the Record menu, a Super Macro option lets the camera focus as close as 1.2 inches (three centimeters), but the zoom is locked in this mode. Minimum focusing distances seem to be about right and comparable to the C5050 for UW photography. I suspect you'll be doing most of your close-up photography between full wide and 1/3 zoom. If you want to go wider, well, you'll have to do what most of us do, buy an external 'wet' WAL.

Smaller 1.5 LCD monitor than the C5050 (1.8), but having said that, if the performance is anything like that of the C50, I was very impressed by the refresh speed of the monitor in low light conditions.

Shutter lag is a bit longer but shutter lag with pre-focus (ie with the shutter release half depressed) is faaast at 0.07s (about half of the C5050)

It has a pop-up flash and also comes with a hotshoe which is (pleasantly) surprising - considering that this camera is primarily aimed at the 'family' market.

It supports the xD picture card only - so if you currently own an older digital camera you won't be able to use the memory card from it. Also, currently, the largest xD available is 256MB (8GB is the proposed size).

No jog dial - good and bad. The jog dial made a few things easier on the C5050 but possibly created more problems like having to hold a button down and turning the dial to select a menu item.

Aperture values in manual mode changed by the left and right arrow keys (like the C4040) - yippee! Hate holding down the direct aperture button and turning the jog dial on the C5050. I wish they could make both of these methods available on the C5050 via a firmware upgrade (Olympus, ARE YOU LISTENING!!).

One function that it has that you don't find on the C5050 is being able to designate the amount of time before the camera puts itself to sleep (How did Olympus forget this on the C5050?). Choices are 30 seconds, or 1, 3, 5, or 10 minutes.

4 x 'My Modes' which good. I use all 8 on the C5050.

Image quality seems to be good, with nothing out of the ordinary that is likely to bite you in the *ss.

It has all the bells and whistles (panorama, movies with sound, etc.) and important functions like exposure compensation, flash intensity control, manual white balance and focus.

Uses AA NiMH batteries so that's another plus.

A potential problem area when shooting in macro is the camera's flash creates a shadow in the lower left area of the frame due to the long lens.

Missing:
The only thing that I can't see is that there is no 'slave' flash mode. This means you can't fire the camera's flash in Super Macro mode to trigger an external slave strobe using a optical sensor or fibre optic cable (it might still fire an external flash that is connected to the hotshoe in Super Macro but I'm not sure). If this is the case then it will render the Super Macro mode, well, just about useless. But I could be wrong...
On a minor side, the camera's (C5050) flash recycles very fast in slave mode, which means you can take pictures very quickly with the external strobe set to manual, including using it in sequential mode - which is really sweet if your external strobe can keep up. Having said that the slave mode (and Super Macro) aren't available on the C4040 and everyone seem to work around it. To save battery and help recycle faster you just dial down the flash intensity control while shooting in manual strobe mode.

It also doesn't capture in RAW image format.

Why it's cheap? I don't know - it's 4MP, doesn't have a super bright lens and dual card slots. It's also aimed at the 'family' market, not the prosumer section. Who knows.

Because it will be primarily a land camera
If that's the case I see nothing glaringly wrong with it. The 10x zoom will be fantastic on land. But that's my opinion.... :wink:

I think I'm going to go for it. Lock, stock and barrel the set-up is under a grand and the pros seem to outweigh the cons as described on this board. My ultimate problem with cameras is carrying them, so the size is very important (5 years as a back country guide in Colorado and I took less 100 photos because my camera was too bulky to carry... same thing on trips to SEAsia, South America and Southern Africa). So, now that I have a daughter it is about time I got on the digital bandwagon.

I appreciate all the input. I'll be heading into NYC next week, hopefully B&H will have them in stock by then and I post a reply when I get my new toy.

IMHO, I don't think you'll like the 10x zoom underwater............your wide angle isn't wide enough and the close focus distance isn't very close............two very important traits for underwater photography

The zoom will out distance your strobe and you'll aways be fooled on your subject distance.........

Food for thought...........

Karl

I think I'm going to go for it.

Good on you Matt. Let us know how you go. User feedback on different rig setups is invaluable to the forum.

I personally would be interested to see if there is a way of firing the flash in Super Macro mode....

Reviews of other cameras and systems is always welcome.

Asking me to be critical of a digital camera would be like asking a five year old to critique a Broadway musical.

I'm looking forward to writing a review:)

I am also considering this camera and housing. Has anyone actually taken the plunge?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom