Oly C-750?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattiedread

Reaction score
I've searched this forum and found only one brief blurb concerning this camera (Oly C-750), but, for US$600 it seems like a great deal (from the B&H site):

Olympus
Camedia C-750 Ultra Zoom, 4.0 Megapixel, 10 Optical/4x Digital Zoom, Advanced Point-and-shoot, Digital Camera.

I'm not really qualified to compare the specs with the other very popular Olys that many on this board swear by. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. As this will be a land camera also (primarily, but would like to kill two birds w/one stone), the 10X optical is very appealing.

What are the best websites to visit to compare and find out if the camera will serve dual purpose of land and UW?

Thanks,
Matt

Steve's Digi-Cams will let you compare camera models.

Some of the particulars may be confusing or misleading to you if you aren't familiar with digital cameras. So after your comparisons, maybe we can help with the details for you.

Scorpiofish and ReyeR are the guys who can explain all the technical stuff for ya!

OK, I've done a fair amount of web research and it just seems that this 4MP/10X optical zoom camera is too good to be true. It must be lacking some features that are beyond my current knowledge of digital cameras. Can someone point some of these out to me? The only one I can come up with is f2.8 v f1.8, which means very little to me.

putting it simply, the lower the number the brighter the lens and the less work you flash does.

so when the 2.8 would use the flash the 1.8 might not or it would use it with less power (battery saver :) )

mattiedread once bubbled...
OK, I've done a fair amount of web research and it just seems that this 4MP/10X optical zoom camera is too good to be true. It must be lacking some features that are beyond my current knowledge of digital cameras. Can someone point some of these out to me? The only one I can come up with is f2.8 v f1.8, which means very little to me.

The f1.8 lens is just a bit brighter than the f2.8 which basically means you would be able to take u/w pictures with no strobe or internal flash a few feet deeper than with the f2.8. Some will argue that's it's a minimal difference. I wouldn't let the f2.8 keep me from buying it.

Without a more extensive search, I didn't find the C-750...only the C-730 so I can't comment on the particular features.

The C-750 has not yet been released, it is coming soon.

Although I don't know the specifics of f stops, I'm not too sure how nominal the difference is or isn't. If it a true mathematical proportion, it would be quite significant. I'm not sure a neophyte like me would gain a greater advantage from the larger light intake than with the 10X optical zoom.

b&h photo has the specs as does Steve's Digi Cams. On comparison, I find the camera is more closely related feature wise to others that are 30-50% more expensive, which doesn't make sense to me... as if the camera has a serious downfall that I'm not seeing (It self destructs after 200 photos which is somewhere in the superfine print:)

There is also housing for it.
Yep - PT-018. Looks like red's in. Picture attached:

Is there something in the specs on this camera I am missing? It seems way too inexpensive.

Clive:
Because it will be primarily a land camera, the 10X is appealing, but, because I would rather kill two birds w/one stone, if there is an UW limitation (fstop) I'll scrap the idea.

Jonathan:
I can't find it for sale in the US yet, but should be this week or next.

Rey:
Thanks for the picture. I'm told that you are the man with whom to talk specs... If you get a chance, check out Jonathan's link and see if anything jumps out at you as inferior. For 600US it seems too cheap. Most camera's that have more than a 5X zoom are considerably more expensive. Doing side by sides I can't find the limitations, but, I know very little about digital photography. Actually, my lack of knowledge doesn't end with photography:)

Thanks,
Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom