Oly C-750 Ultra Zoom - Tips for Underwater Filter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Get a Hoya HMC FL-D 67mm filter - it is only about US$25 and available at good photo stores. It is a good place to start. It will make a difference even at 20-30m blue water. Ideally, at that depth, you need a stronger filter, like the FL-B. Email singh-ray for that. But you will be losing a lot of light.

You will have to WB at depth, it is critical if you don't have RAW.

White balancing without a filter is not the same as shooting with a filter - the former is a process that is applied AFTER information has been captured on the CCD, the latter is applied BEFORE the information is captured. Both processes compliment each other.

Sylvie,

Definately learn how to change the WB underwater. It only takes 3-4 button pushes to do it. If you don't have a white slate, use a patch of white sand. I even had good results with using sand that had landed on top of a coral head. You should be able to see right away in the viewer if your WB is out of adjustment as it will appear with a read tint. I made the adjustment every 10-15 feet of depth change. OH,,, remember to reset if it you go back to auto to use the flash in a hole or up under some coral. Then after using the flash, turn the flash off and find another patch of sand to reset the WB. It works great with this camera (not with all Olympus's) and my pictures are 100% better using the WB and no flash.

Nevada

Sylvie:
Thanks for sharing your first hand experience. I should give it a try and recalibrate the white balance while diving. It would give me more usage from my white writing slate. ;-)

Thanks for the tip NevadaM.

As things turned out I didn't have time to find a filter anyhow and there is no point in rushing to find one tomorrow. In the mean time, I will definitely try adjusting the WB underwater instead of only before the dive. As it so happens I keep an instructor style white slate in my BDC pocket, so I can easily use it as reference.
It just seems a bit of a nuisance to readjust the camera settings every few meters or depending on weather or not a flash is used. Does the same apply for flash lights? In most cases it the changes should give me better results, but in other cases the fish will have time to swim away by the time all the adjustments are made. :-0

Do you also use the C750?

Sylvie,

Yes I use a C750uz. I guess it is a bit of a hassle to have to readjust the WB every now and then, and yes I have missed a few shots because I wasn't in the right mode. But overall the results make it worth the effort (see my photos in the gallery, and I'm by far not a photographer and am just learning). With having a white slate on you, you won't have to swim off and find white sand, then try to find your subject again. The hardest part is to plan ahead and keep your settings set ahead of time. If you change depth, just go ahead and set the WB, don't wait till you want to take a shot. The hardest for me was to see a great shot back in a hole, put it all back on auto with the flash, then right after that see something else outside and have to reset the WB again. Guess I should find a white slate to keep on my BC. Also, I've had fun with the movie mode. It's great getting people moving around, and octopus are great in movie mode. I even got some fish laying eggs, turned out fine. With a bit of practice, the adjustments take just a very few button pushes and you're done. Just a few seconds.

Also, have you considered flood insurance? "Be anal" about cleaning your o-ring and equipment every time you open it. I found sand on the o-ring probably every time I cleaned it. It just takes once.......

Have fun.

Nev

Sylvie:
Thanks for the tip NevadaM.

As things turned out I didn't have time to find a filter anyhow and there is no point in rushing to find one tomorrow. In the mean time, I will definitely try adjusting the WB underwater instead of only before the dive. As it so happens I keep an instructor style white slate in my BDC pocket, so I can easily use it as reference.
It just seems a bit of a nuisance to readjust the camera settings every few meters or depending on weather or not a flash is used. Does the same apply for flash lights? In most cases it the changes should give me better results, but in other cases the fish will have time to swim away by the time all the adjustments are made. :-0

Do you also use the C750?

Back
Top Bottom