Oly 770SW vs Canon 570IS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, no, no, you can use auto but in auto the Canon has a preflash and in manual and other modes it does not so you cannot switch back and forth during a dive. The strobe must be set for preflash or preflash cancel by installing a magnet which activates an internal switch to set mode. Like I said, the Oly does not require all this fussing about, it only has one mode, point and shoot and get nice snaps.

Canon:

IMG_0100.jpg

Oly:

P3280118.jpg

I did not use P mode, I used manual and Av mode. I had already set the strobe for preflash cancel. I shot some with the Canon in various springs with similar results to the Oly but still using the Av mode, I set arpeture and it set shutter and I manipulated the flash.

My next outing will be all ocean and I will use both cameras side by side if at all possible in various modes.

I think this is the Canon in Av with flash turned off:

P3280076.jpg

This is my first use of a real fisheye lens underwater. I really do like being able to be inches from the subject and still show an entire scene as in the photo above. A little more practice with this lens should yield better results as I figure out how to use it's unique capabilities.

N

Gosh, I made 12 dives over five days some as deep as 140 feet with two different cameras I had never used u/w before, one not even on the surface yet, gee, next time I will have to take both at once, you guys are a hard crowd to please. :wink:

Again, with the Oly there was no fumbling around, just set to UW1 or UW2 or UW snap, set the strobe to TTL and jump in and swim around and shoot till the battery goes dead and every pic was at least interesting. The Canon seems to be able to do the same thing but because you also can complicate the issue with various mode settings none of which seemed to provide a real advantage over the Oly in auto only. I am sure more extensive use will prove the value of manual etc. Did I ever say that macro bores me. I like action, wid angle, divers interacting with the marine world. These types of pics seem not to be so needful of fussing around with exposure.

Ya know, I worked a Nikonos III and an Ikelite housed Nikon FM for many dives years ago. Either of these digi snaps are much more easy to use because you can see the result in the view finder and make immeidate adjustments or alter angle or such or use the meter lock on the Oly and manually meter with it etc.

N

Well that seems dumb LOL

I wonder if it's the same with P mode (which is all auto mode, too, but you can select your ISO and some other things, I think). If P mode doesn't have a preflash then you could set the strobe and forget about messing with fiddling with dials on the camera but still have the option to use all the other camera modes while underwater. If you remember/have time, would love to know if this works so the Canon can be used as a simply turn on, point and shoot with this set up, too.

If anyone knows which modes utilize a preflash--for sure--that would be good info for many people. You know when it is not synching up because the exposure does not react to flash.

N

P mode in most cameras will allow you to change some exposure settings etc inside the menu even though the camera has set them for you whereas Auto will not.

you can use auto but in auto the Canon has a preflash and in manual and other modes it does not
Every mode should have a preflash except if you're able to go into the menu and set the internal flash to "slave" or manual mode and select a flash output. A camera's preflash is an invisible signal fired just before the camera fires its flash. It reads the exposure return on the invisible signal to determine flash output. The inon, in advanced mode (magnet in?) will send out a large preflash signal which the camera interprets as plenty of available light so it will tell the camera to use the minimum flash (if its set to force a flash). If the flash is set on auto inside a P&S's menu, it might tell the camera not to flash at all which would mean no Inon either. Also, in some auto modes a camera might send out a visible focus assist flash and disrupt the timing on the Inon. So if you see a preflash, its actually redeye reduction or a focus assist flash and should be turned off. Anyway, that's my interpretation and I'm sticking too it.

Every mode utilizes a preflash except if you're able to go into the menu and set the internal flash to "slave" or manual mode and select a flash output.

I am not finding that to be the case. This will require more study.

In auto the Canon syncs with the strobe with the magnet not in place--set for preflash.

In manual the Canon syncs with the strobe with the magnent removed--set for preflash cancel.

Therefore this mode does not preflash.

Av mode seems to work with the sync in the preflash cancel mode, magnet installed therefore indicating no preflash.

DSCF0126.jpg

N

I'll buy your 2 570's when you're ready to throw them under the bus.....:)

I'll buy your 2 570's when you're ready to throw them under the bus.....:)

Why ever would I do that, they are so simple and easy to use. Just not as simple and easy as the Oly. This photography stuff is easy, y'all make out like it is hard or some such :D.

Really, the camera is just a needed evil, the lens is the thing and I do so much love the Inon 165AD fisheye lens. Without that wonder I would just toss them under the bus, what good would they be :eyebrow:

After looking at the Nikon P5100 in my hand there is nothing about the camera itself that would prevent it from being used with the Inon AD lenses. The problem is the Ike housing has the large port which is not required for this dimuntive camera and the Fantasea housing has the small port but Inon does not support it. IMO, if this camera could be adapted to these lenses it would be a great combination.

N

I am not finding that to be the case. This will require more study.

In auto the Canon syncs with the strobe with the magnet not in place--set for preflash.

In manual the Canon syncs with the strobe with the magnent removed--set for preflash cancel.

Therefore this mode does not preflash.

Av mode seems to work with the sync in the preflash cancel mode, magnet installed therefore indicating no preflash.

DSCF0126.jpg

N

Okay I'm a little lost on your description of the magnet. One says removed and the other says not in place. All of that notwithstanding, I'm no Canon expert. But I learned that all digital cameras have a preflash. Any camera that sets the white balance and exposure automatically (flash output) has to send a signal out to test the environment. Based on what is returned is how it sets those variables. Maybe when the Canon is in manual mode it also places the flash in manual mode? This would be odd but not out of the question. Here's an excellent site which breaks down the magnet in, magnet out and talks about the ACC circuit. My feeling is there are other features in the Canon which are not set correctly in one, or both modes.

Reef Photo & Video Support Center - KnowledgeBase - Selecting the proper settings for INON strobes

Back
Top Bottom