older Zeagle BC help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulintexas

Reaction score
Hi,
Getting back into diving and traded a buddy of mine BCs. I had a near-new Tusa Liberator that my uncle gave me, but it was a medium and didn't fit, and my buddy had an older Zeagle BC given to him by his dad some years ago that was too large for him. So, good swap, at least they fit each of us :)

However, I can't seem to find any markings on the Zeagle to tell which type of BC it is. I downloaded the Zeagle manual from the web site, and my best guess is that it is a Ranger, but is there any way to tell? (maybe I should take a photo and post it?)

Also, the integrated weight system is broken.

My main question is how does one determine if the BC is usable and do dive shops service BCs at all (like to fix the integrated weight system?). I'm more concerned with safety, obviously. I've used the BC in a pool without problems, inflates great, pulls me right to the service without problems, feels good. The person I traded with just used it during his Rescue Diver dives last week, and has used it the last year or so, but hasn't dove that much until recently.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the ramblings :)

Paul

Identification of a Zeagle model is relatively simple. On the left shoulder strap there is usually a model name -- its on the velco strap designed to hold your power inflator in place.

Depending on how old the BC is, it may have the older weight release system. Posting a picture would probably help.

Yes -- most shops service BCDs. It would be addvantageous to find one that sells Zeagle.

Craig

I inherited it, and had to do some research to determine that it is a Concept. No rings, no chest strap.

I'd call Zeagle... they have been helpful in the past.

If it is a Ranger and the intergrated weight system is broke you are better off for it. It is a good BC but the intergrated weights were a cluge. You are better off with a weight belt. I am not against intergrated weights but I do not think the Ranger had a good system. 1) it was a lace system that could fail if it was rigged wrong. 2) you loaded raw weights and had to orient yourself to drop them if I remember right.

well, there are no markings anywhere with the product name. So, I took some pictures and posted them at my site below if someone wants to check them out :)

The integrated weight system does look like a kluge, so I'll probably just strip off the remaining item and continue to use my weight belt I already have!

Thanks in advance

(*warning, pictures are a bit large!)

http://www.jenkinstechnology.com/diving/bc1.jpg
http://www.jenkinstechnology.com/diving/bc2.jpg
http://www.jenkinstechnology.com/diving/bc3.jpg

That looks like a Ranger from what I can see, if not, it's a Concept. The only real difference between the 2 was the weight of the nylon used, the Ranger being the heavier of the 2. Don't let the nay sayers BS you . When properly installed and used, the Ripcord weight system on the Ranger and other Zeagles is fine. I have used one for about 4 years with no problem at all. Based on the pictures, the one on yours does look like it has been deployed and may need to be re-strung but that's not that big a deal, just read the Ranger manual off the Zeagle web site. I do agree that you need to use the weight pouches however. Besides, they make removing and installing the weights a lot easier.

Thanks. I looked through the manual at Zeagle about restringing the ripcord system, the BC definitely has something missing, the cord isn't remotely long enough to thread as the manual indicates :)

I think I'll take it into my local dive shop here in Plano (Oceans' Window). I took it to another dive shop in Frisco, but the guy doesn't sell Zeagle, so he just offered to sell me another BC 'on sale'. As much as I like diving, I really dislike pushy sales people at a dive shop :)

You said it is a Concept??!! It doesn't look like it (nor do we think it's a ranger or escape)....It looks like a We have 2 Concepts both MD & LG..They are great BCs...The MD is with Zeagle now for factory service..No questions asked they charge a simple charge and gave us like an estimated time of 2 to 3 weeks for return (when it does return both go up for sale as we upgraded since we want our own BCs for our dive cruise (leaving Friday)..Good luck with it I am sure if you are anything like us you will find zeagle is one of the more respectible comp.s out there (send it for factory service and they will repair it to it's original form)...So far we are impressed with them...
Remember this is just my O2...Everyone has thier own O2 as everyone has thier own techniques and needs...I am now in a zeagle escape and medical1 is in a rangerLTD..I have no plan of dual tanks! He may strap 2 STL80s later down the line, that and his wants for the correct rings and ect...was the soul reason for different bc's....not to mention the escape seemed to fit my figure better than most all the rest I tried!!
GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY DIVING!!!!!!:)
What's the Bouyancy? does it have pockets??on the outside of the weight pockets? It realy looks as if it is a scout without the elastic band!!! Though they can be used without!!

I own a Scout and a Ranger, this is def not a Scout. This BC has a cumberbun, SS D-rings and 2 standard tank bands, none of which are on a Scout and all are on a Ranger. It also has pockets and the Ripcord weight system which is not standard on a Scout. The Scout also has a bungie on the bladder, this BC does not. The bladder appears to be fairly large, the Ranger bladder is rated at 45 lbs, the Scout has a 35 lb bladder. The quick releases on the Scout are a lot smaller than these on the Ranger (with the exception of the Xsmall harness) these appear to be the larger size. This is most likely an older Ranger.

Back
Top Bottom