Older Scuba Pro BC help needed/

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Lapenta

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I will post pics later but yesterday my GF's father handed over an older SP jacket BC. Still has the place for the CO2 inflator (it is missing and plugged but I know where I can get one), has hooks on the front to hang a pocket on (only one on there now), has one shoulder dump on the right shoulder and is a light greenish blue in color. But I think it has been modified as it has a Seaquest inflator of what appears to be the same vintage on it. We have not rinsed the dust off yet or inflated it. I'd just like some info on it as I doubt it will sell but I may use it for classes to demonstrate the progression in technology and if it holds air dive it once in a while just for giggles. Any prelim info until I get pics up is appreciated.

Sounds like a blue version of the classic orange stab jacket.
Check for leaks especially around the seams on the shoulder......the laminate on the inside has a tendency to go crispy after 35 or 40 years.

Thanks! I just found a pic of the orange one but what is also different is the hooks to hang pockets on. Maybe they just don't show as well in the pics on line I saw.

It's an old stab jacket. They were born around 1977 and were constantly being modified over the years, so there are several variations. What sort of tank locking mechanism does it have? As late as 1980 they still had the old metal cam band with a turn knob and lever to lock it down. Then there came the Super cinch band, first (1981) in two pieces bolted down to each side of the tank mounting plate, and then finally, by at least 1985 (probably sooner, but I have a hiatus in catalogs to pin it down), the single piece that threaded through the backpack and mounting plate. I've a picture of a blue stab jacket in my 1985 catalog. By this time, the stabs had permanently attached "Taco" pockets. They also had a couple plastic triangular hooks on the front for whatever. CO2 ports were still in place. In 1985, they also had the "Double Black" version--the 420 dernier is neoprene coated on the inside and outside. The orange and blue versions only have neoprene coating on the inside.

I've used several of those.. It sounds like the ones that are really not safe. the seams begin to separate and make multiple leaks... i used to use aquaseal and goop to patch and fix, but eventually decided that I would be embarassed getting killed with something that was worn out. Just take the backpack off it.

Jim, I have also collected an orange SP stab for the same purposes (demonstrating BC progression in a display). It doesn't hold air but sometimes I wear it just to see the look on peoples faces. Basically diving sans BC.

It's immature I know but I can't help it - it's fun!

I had a blue one with plastic grommets for a pocket. Circa 1986. Tossed it last year because it wouldn't hold air. Did keep the backpack and metal buckle and metal cam buckle. Also tossed an older orange one I picked up with a steel 72. That one had the solid metal tank band. (makes it hard to pack)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom