older Oceanic reg setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chocoholic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have an older (about 15+years) model of oceanic regulator/firststage/guages. I can't figure out what model any of it is. The first stage has 2 hp ports (marked 300bar 4500psi) and 4 lp ports, the second is clear plastic reg that sits sideways instead of directly infront of your mouth. The stuff was all bought second hand 15 years ago.
Basically I want to replace the reg (or use it as an octo if it is worth the rebuild) and keep the guages and first stage, and replace those later.
I was hoping someone could help me figure out what kind of first stage it is. Basically whether it is balanced or unbalanced and whether it is worth keeping. I definitely want to keep the guages to use as backup for my wrist computer that I am also trying to decide which type to buy. I have a really old Suunto/Seaquest Solution (that has served well), so am leaning toward a Suunto brand.
I will be taking it all in to be serviced at my LDS, but I am fairly sure they will be trying to sell all new equipment so I was hoping for some information from the board before I decide.
Thanks for any help, Choco

The unit you have is either the Omega or Omega II. I am not sure when they switched over. It is an improved version of the Omega. I have both, my wife uses them. We like them. They are a pneamatically assited servo second stage with a balanced flow through piston first stage. It is considered a high performace regulator and because it is side exhaust it makes an excellent octapus/safe second. There are regulaorts that now outperform it but it is still a good unit. Some people claim they breath wet and my wife and I understand what they are talking about but it has not proven a problem for us. This unit is still in production, at least the second stage is, so parts should not be a problem. I would get it rebuilt and use it as your second or backup. The first stage used now is probably not the same one we have or you have. Parts should be available for it as well, it is a ScubaPro clone of the Mark 5 I think it was. In any case it was and is a decent and reliable unit. N

Thank you. That is what I was hoping to hear. I will take it in and see what the guys at the LDS say too. Choco

I would just send it to Oceanic direct for service and forget the LDS. N

Choco,
Take it to your LDS, have them inspect it and service it if they're authorized. If they are not then send it to Oceanic for service. Generally having the service done at the LDS should take no longer than 1-2 weeks. Sending it in can take up to 6 weeks and both should use factory trained service techs.

If it is the Omega, you'll love it.

Just as everyone said, it sounds like an Omega. They are very good regs. Parts are still available. I would take it to an Oceanic Tech or send it Oceanic to get it serviced since they are a bit different than most regs.

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom