Older DUI TLS350. Good Deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigBubbaJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I might be coming into a DUI TLS350. It won't be a cash transaction, but will end up costing me about $700 in trade.

Good Deal?

Comes with a full wooly undergarment. Suit fits like a glove. On visual inspection it looked used, but in good shape.
Also comes with a hood and gloves, but the weights in the photo are not part of the deal.

I would have to check for leaks, etc, but it seems to me that seals are in very good shape, and the suit itself is in very good shape.

I would not be able to afford purchasing a dry suit, but this might just work.

Thoughts? I would really like to be able to dive dry...

DSC_0132.JPG_595.jpg

DSC_0141.JPG_595.jpg

I might be coming into a DUI TLS350. It won't be a cash transaction, but will end up costing me about $700 in trade.

Good Deal?

Comes with a full wooly undergarment. Suit fits like a glove. On visual inspection it looked used, but in good shape.
Also comes with a hood and gloves, but the weights in the photo are not part of the deal.

I would have to check for leaks, etc, but it seems to me that seals are in very good shape, and the suit itself is in very good shape.

I would not be able to afford purchasing a dry suit, but this might just work.

Thoughts? I would really like to be able to dive dry...

I'd say it's a fair to good deal if the seals, boots and zipper appear to be in excellent and near-new condition and likely to last the typical two or three hundred dives or several years.

Otherwise, figure on spending about $150 when it comes time to replace the seals, $300 to $400 to replace the zipper, $300 to replace the boots.

The hood may not be worth much since it does not appear to be a "Warm Neck Self Venting" DUI hood. The one pictured may not tuck into the suit's "Warm Neck Collar" and thereby not seal the neck area, a major drawback. You might be able to sell that hood for $10 and apply it toward a $70 DUI hood, which is definitely worth the investment, IMO. The Warm Neck Collar and matching DUI hood are well-designed.

DUI - drysuit hoods for all your scuba diving needs

For years I've watched used scuba prices here in the northeast, and for $700 you will occasionally see newer DUI TLS350's in local bargain papers

It took about 2 years of diligent watching, but I found a "never used" two-year old DUI CLx450 priced at $850. Being the first caller helped me get that suit!

Anyway, if you think it might help, have someone more familiar with drysuits check the latex seals, zipper, and boots for signs of wear or deterioration. Probably don't need to leak test it, but it's easy to do and will give you some piece of mind.

Still, if this suit is in near-new condition, $700 is a fair price, especially with an undergarment that might be worth $150 used.

Feel free to PM me if you have other questions and I'll be glad to help.... I love shopping with other people's money! :D

Good luck!

Dave C

Last edited:
Judging by the inflator valve that looks to be a pretty old suit (10 yrs + ). While it also looks to be in good condition, I would have some concerns about its age. If you are not intimately familiar with drysuits, I would recommend having it looked at by a friendly neighborhood expert. If it's in good shape, it's a decent deal.

Thanks for the feedback.

I am going to borrow it and engage some help in evaluating the condition.

Better to pass on it, than to fix it given this suits age it sounds like if there are any problems that need addressing.

That's a great suit and it appears from the pictures to be well cared for. The only thing I'd be concerned about is the zipper. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom