Older divers at greater risk for heart attack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy43068

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Recently I read where a lawsuit was re-instated because the general release that the dive shop relied on was legally defective. In part of the article the defense lawyer was quoted as saying:

"He added that a recent study showed that older divers were at a high risk of suffering cardiac episodes as a result of the pressure during diving. "

Can anyone point me to this study? Do any of you diving Docs. know more about this?

I'm 53, so naturally this statement concerns me quite a bit.

Thanks!

Here's a link to the thread where I read about this:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/337210-ridiculous.html

Last edited:
On the DAN website, in their annual review of diving fatalities, they point out the prevalence of diving deaths amongst older divers, almost all of which results from 'myocardial infraction' (heart attack).

Now, that is not the same as saying 'diving causes heart attacks'. Those guys might easily have heart attacks if they had been sitting at home watching TV. But obviously underwater a heart attack presents significant complications, so if you are a person who is at risk, do think about the possibility that you may have a cardiac episode underwater.

My Dad is 73 and has high blood pressure. He dives, but not strenuous diving and he feels his risk is lower in the water because the body and heart are under less strain.

Older people in general are at a higher risk of dying from a heart attack. It's like saying if you ride in a car, you are more likely to get into a car wreck than those people that don't ride in cars. Statistics can be twisted many ways. I never trust someone spouting statistics. Especially lawyers spouting statistics, because they most likely don't even have the math skills to balance their checkbook.

Hey, that's why I won"t mow the lawn, I've heard of too many guys falling over dead at the mower. I just hope we don't have to start submitting Doctor's permission slips at the dive operation just to go out on a boat.

Looking up the story here, sounds to me -- a layperson -- like the dive operation is being sued for renting faulty equipment.

The dive operation's lawyer is trying to deflect the blame by pointing out that the guy died from a heart attack (which was true), and that the heart attack had nothing to do with the equipment and could only be blamed on his age.

Recently I read where a lawsuit was re-instated because the general release that the dive shop relied on was legally defective. In part of the article the defense lawyer was quoted as saying:

"He added that a recent study showed that older divers were at a high risk of suffering cardiac episodes as a result of the pressure during diving. "

Can anyone point me to this study? Do any of you diving Docs. know more about this?

I'm 53, so naturally this statement concerns me quite a bit.

Thanks!

Here's a link to the thread where I read about this:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/337210-ridiculous.html

Of interest -
http://rubicon-foundation.org/dspace/bitstream/123456789/4032/1/15796313.pdf

General articles -
Heart Problems and Diving

DAN Divers Alert Network : Cardiovascular Fitness and Diving

See also -
Rubicon Foundation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

European Underwater and Baromedical Society

Best,

Doc

Sure age increases the risk of heart attach. So does being over weight, high blood pressure, being sedentary, and any number of age related maladies. I am not sure diving is higher risk than sex but I don’t intend to willingly give up either one. Living is about managing risk. Manage these factors and you are far less likely to die while diving or during other physical activities. Cousteau spent a lot of time in the water and he was a lot older than me, youngster.

Aren't older people more likely to die of anything...?

Thank you for the responses, I really appreciate it. I've got some reading now do. Thank you Doc.

It's not my intention to stop diving, then again I don't want to pose a risk to my team members either as I'm usually one of, if not the oldest guy in the group.

I'd like to know the health risks, especially when doing technical dives.

Back
Top Bottom