Older divers at greater risk for heart attack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do not know if such data exist. I know that, at least here in Europe, a lot of heartattacks that happen in the water with scubadivers are registered as diving casualties. In the Netherlands where quite a lot of people come to dive from France, Belgium, Germany and so on, only 1-2 people per year die while diving. So it would take a long time to have enough people dead to do a study with relevant statistics, because to say something it would take about 100 people.

Actually what you say about the friends bypass is turning it around a bit. The main problem is that when they do not find anything wrong, you still might keel over a little while later. There is the story of a man visiting the hospital my wife used to work at who had passed the test with flying colors. He went back to the cardiologist to hand over the results. He was found that on the staircase, died of a heartattack.

Anyway I'm not aware of the study you are seeking, but if you pass your physical, which over here is mandatory every year, when over 50 and what is more important don't have any complaints while exercising, it probably is as good as it gets..

As sphyrnidus said, often enough "wet + dead = drowned" is all the report states after a diving fatility.
Furthermore the public does not have access to medical records.

Aside from dying in my sleep I can't think of a better time or place to checkout. Some the healthiest people die of heart attacks why be concerned about something you have little control over? All I can recommend is don't go near the water.

Aren't older people more likely to die of anything...?

In fact, many studies have found a definite link between age and death. Cheshire, et al did a controlled, randomized, peer reviewed trial and the results were astonishing. The older you get the more likely you are to die!

Best to live every moment like it is your last.

Aside from dying in my sleep I can't think of a better time or place to checkout...

My Dad had an even better concept. He wanted to be shot by a jealous husband… at 90. It didn’t work out for him but I am hopeful. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom