Old vs New Computer - OCEANIC OC1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm bringing it in to my LDS to check the battery. I don't have a battery kit/O ring to use as replacement. Additionally, the last time I took the back off this computer, it takes a special flat tipped, quite small phillips head screw driver. I was able to get it off but had it put back on (with replacement battery and O ring) at my LDS since it didn't come off easily. It was replaced almost 1 year to the day ago.... seems odd that it would have just died...

I'm bringing it in to my LDS to check the battery. I don't have a battery kit/O ring to use as replacement. Additionally, the last time I took the back off this computer, it takes a special flat tipped, quite small phillips head screw driver. I was able to get it off but had it put back on (with replacement battery and O ring) at my LDS since it didn't come off easily. It was replaced almost 1 year to the day ago.... seems odd that it would have just died...
the OC1 uses a CR2450. same as my VT3. Manual says 1 year or 300 dives at 2 per day. I get a year to 18 months, in excess of 200 dives.

the OC1 uses a CR2450. same as my VT3. Manual says 1 year or 300 dives at 2 per day. I get a year to 18 months, in excess of 200 dives.
I get 1-3 years off my OC1, depending on my diving and the quality of the 2450.
It is beginning to get some dead (always black) pixels; trying to decide if I want to spend $260 to get it refurbished. Probably will!

I get 1-3 years off my OC1, depending on my diving and the quality of the 2450.
It is beginning to get some dead (always black) pixels; trying to decide if I want to spend $260 to get it refurbished. Probably will!
Curious how long you've had your OC1 and how many dives you have on it? It's good to hear that you like yours well enough to get it refurbished.

If the battery doesn't fix this computer (cant get to the LDS until Thursday), I'm trying to decide if I should send this OC1 in for service to see if they are able to refurbish it, and then I still end up with the same concerns/issues I have from my original post. OR do I spend that $260 on a new computer... and then the possibilities are endless.

Curious how long you've had your OC1 and how many dives you have on it? It's good to hear that you like yours well enough to get it refurbished.

If the battery doesn't fix this computer (cant get to the LDS until Thursday), I'm trying to decide if I should send this OC1 in for service to see if they are able to refurbish it, and then I still end up with the same concerns/issues I have from my original post. OR do I spend that $260 on a new computer... and then the possibilities are endless.
I got mine in April 2012, and have logged 842 dives with it (I don't use it for all dives).
How much strap-length extension do you need? I might have an extra sitting around.

@tursiops and @ODD Diver 13

In my experience Huish/Oceanic do not repair/refurbish the computer sent in. Instead, they exchange it for one that is already fully refurbished or "new". Altogether, I sent in three ProPlus 2s that were initially purchased around 2002-4. I flooded one after a battery change and sent it to Oceanic. The other 2 had the pressure sensors eventually go out and they were sent to Huish. In all 3 cases I got back units with different serial numbers that looked like new. All three of these computers are currently in use by my family, and work perfectly.

I got mine in April 2012, and have logged 842 dives with it (I don't use it for all dives).
How much strap-length extension do you need? I might have an extra sitting around.

Not sure how to post a picture on here yet. But I'm looking for an extension piece for the black rubber wrist band. The replacement OC1 strap kits come with three pieces, the two that connect to the computer and a piece that is about 5 or so inches long. That 5" extension piece is what did not come with this computer when I got it and that's what I've been trying to fine.

@tursiops and @ODD Diver 13

In my experience Huish/Oceanic do not repair/refurbish the computer sent in. Instead, they exchange it for one that is already fully refurbished or "new". Altogether, I sent in three ProPlus 2s that were initially purchased around 2002-4. I flooded one after a battery change and sent it to Oceanic. The other 2 had the pressure sensors eventually go out and they were sent to Huish. In all 3 cases I got back units with different serial numbers that looked like new. All three of these computers are currently in use by my family, and work perfectly.

This would be unfortunate, the family member I received this computer from had their name inscribed on the back. It almost appears to be laser etched.

This would be unfortunate, the family member I received this computer from had their name inscribed on the back. It almost appears to be laser etched.
So then, after you get back from the visit to your LDS, you will know whether it is the battery or not. If it is not simply the battery, you can contact your family member and ask them whether they want their broken computer with their name on the back or a refurbished or new computer from Oceanic/Huish. To me, the answer is simple. Good luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom