OLD U.S. Divers Reg. and gauges set: serviceable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moosicman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So an older fellow in my apartment complex was selling his gear as he didn't dive anymore. I went to his storage unit and took a look at what he had and it is all U.S. Divers gear (1st and 2nd stage, octo, gauges). I bought them and a tank from him on the condition that the regs. had to check out fine service-wise (I already knew the tank was new and not a bad alloy concern). I'm not a gear-head so I didn't know if it was new or old or what.

So I take it in to my LDS's (we have 3). The first one said it wasn't serviceable. There is a hairline crack in the 2nd stage where the hose assembles to the reg hose port. They said it basically was ruined due to this. As for the 1st stage, when I brought it in, his eyes got big and bewildered and he says "dang, that thing is OLD". And upon checking it out, it was as he figured, he couldn't even get parts for it to service it or even connect it to a tank to see if it worked as is. The gauges were fine and the hoses were good. So I call the guy back with the results and he is very hesitant and asks me to get a second opinion. I'm a nice guy (too nice apparently) so I say sure. I take it to the other shops. They all go "wow, that's old" and basically say that it can be serviced but it would cost more than buying something brand new.

SO, I call him back today and offer to deal with him on the gauges and hoses. He now wants us to get in touch with U.S. Divers to see if it can be serviced and thinks that the LDS's just want to sell me a new set so they're giving me the run around about servicing these (though I told him they were quite clear I wasn't in the market for new gear). So I know he's really not wanting to give me the cash back but my question is does the LDS's stories make sense. The fact that US Divers is now Aqua Lung makes me fairly certain that it would make sense. I'm just wanting to gather up as much ammunition as possible so that this guy does the right thing and honors his word about our deal being good if the gear checked out.

If I can get some pics up I will. Thanks for any advising!

Possibly. LDS's are known for wanting to sell new gear though... Sometimes rightfully so and sometimes not so much.

Try contacting Glynn at Malibu Scuba Repair If anyone can get the parts and make the regulator work again, he can. From what he's told me, when some regulators get to a certain age, the manufacturers stop making service kits for them

I was told the same thing about them not making kits. Honestly, I'm not looking for a project or something I have to send to a little blind guy in Italy. I just wanted to be able to take it here locally and get it taken care of without too much hassle. Thanks for that contact though. He may be of some help in this. :)

0508021905a.jpg

0508021904.jpg

As awap says the first stage is a Pro or Conshelf 30 (same 1st stage in both and model is written on the yoke knob and purge of the black cased 2nd)) and can be serviced with current AquaLung parts.
Same with the 2nd stages, no problem to service.
Cracked cases are common but depending on just how bad it is it may not necessarily mean it is unusable.

Reg is from around the mid 80's.
Value.....about $60 to $75 with the knowledge that one of the cases is cracked.

my first USD Regulator was the ConShelf XII (1974) replaced by a ScubaPro Balance Adjustable with a Mark X that lasted over 7k dives.

At the time I replaced the USD for no good reason other than I wanted something new, last year when the ScubaPro died, the rep said that the new company would not honor the lifetime warranty.

I was mad and saw no reason to stay with ScubaPro (I am usually a dirty water diver and did not see any real change in the first stage design) so I bought the new Aqua Lung Legend.

The point is that the new regulator is MUCH better than what I had. Yes, it is fun to use the old stuff, I have a double hose that calls me now and then, but your time and money will be better spent looking at something new.

IMHO

I agree with Fishpie and awap, those are easily serviced, same internal parts as the Conshelf and old model Titan....appearantly that first stage had several names, it was also called a Royal Aqualung (not to be confused with a Royal Aquamaster).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom