Old timers diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Makes you wonder doesn't it? Here I'm 72 and in rotten shape but still diving. Every time I jump off of a boat I think it might be my last time. That's the breaks.

Makes you wonder doesn't it? Here I'm 72 and in rotten shape but still diving. Every time I jump off of a boat I think it might be my last time. That's the breaks.

72 and still diving? That's my goal :)

A friend's grandfather got certified in his eighties. Did it mostly so he could exercise in the pool. Seriously, I don't think age is the critical factor in diving, of concern yes. And physical conditioning another important factor, but there is nothing more important than training and experience.

At 72, every time you climb back on a boat it may be your last time too. All perspective.

Reactions: Jax
I'm 60 and just got started 4 yrs ago. If my next dive is the last thing I'll do (going to Fiji in 3 weeks) my face will have this big o'l grin on it. What a way to go. Wait. Still have 1 thing on my bucket list, see northern lights. Guess I'l be careful in Fiji, Roatan (June) and Indonesia (Oct.) since I don't plan on Alaska till next Feb to finish list. After that I'll get a little bit crazy:mooner:

Reactions: Jax
I'm 60 and just got started 4 yrs ago. If my next dive is the last thing I'll do (going to Fiji in 3 weeks) my face will have this big o'l grin on it. What a way to go. Wait. Still have 1 thing on my bucket list, see northern lights. Guess I'l be careful in Fiji, Roatan (June) and Indonesia (Oct.) since I don't plan on Alaska till next Feb to finish list.

I took up scuba diving 5 years ago after realizing the futility of chasing the aurora in Alaska during a period of solar minimum. But here's the skinny: you can go outside of Fairbanks nearly any night and see a greenish or white aurora in a cloud form. But if you expect to see the dancing curtains full of color then you need to hope for a moonless sky, no clouds and then time it with a earth directed coronal mass ejection from the sun.

It's tough to get everything crossed of the bucket list...one just keeps adding and adding. At 71 and counting I am planning Egypt, Panama and Little Cayman this year.

Back on topic and the 47 year old Cayman diver's death on ascent, I have seen some really experienced divers hover motionless and hardly breathing during their 15' S/S then surface with one kick. Not saying this was the case here, but wouldn't some of these medical issues that crop up during the last 20' of the dive be avoided if divers were a little more active and breathing more during this period?

I got nothing against diving geezers such as yourselves, I hope to be one someday myself :wink: . I would hope, however, that for the peace of mind of the rest of the folks on the boat, you might 1) take care of yourself health wise, and 2) have a checkup periodically to include a stress test. You see, if you come out with me and die, I'll pat myself on the back and feel that I must have given you the best ride money can buy, and I excited you to death. Some passengers and crew don't take it like I do, and get kinda freaked out by stinky corpses on their boat. Still others get mad cause I have to bring the boat home early. I know that you won't care, or have anything to say about it, but it sure makes it easier on me when all the passengers come home under their own power. The Coast Guard frowns on bringing home corpses, too.

If I die while diving off your boat, just leave the body there, neither of us need it.

Can't you just tie the body to the tag line and troll for the big ones on the way home? Photogs should appreciate that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom