Old Steel tank specs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiei

Reaction score
I just got an old U.S. Divers Steel 72 from a fellow scubaboard member and I wanted to see if anyone could help me out in locating more info on it and what you think about it. I got it for basically nothing and can get a couple more just like it for next to nothing also from another guy. The following are the markings from top down around the base of the neck:
ICC3AA2250
K4181
USD
1 (L with a circle around it?) 65+
1NSP
5SC77

also, 90' to the right of these there is this: 10 (D with a line through it)71. was that for a hydro?

there are also several hydro stamps and the latest one was in jan. 99

any info will be appreciated. It looks like this tank is galvanized. the guy that had it wanted to use it for o2, but couldn't clean it b/c of it being galvanized. I think thats what he said anyway...
my last question, how do I identify the valve on it as far what I'll need when and if I need to rebuild it. I assume its the orig valve (K). It has a triangle mark with the numbers 87 stamped on the bottom front of it and 10 stamped on top of it, and finally 1 on the top rear with another triangle and a 2 below it towards the base of the valve. thanks guys

1 - Interstate Commerce Commision (predated DOT)
3AA-steel tank 2250 psi working pressure

2- serial #

3 - US Divers of course

4 - original hydro, could it be a "C" with an L inside? If so, Cochran Labs, the hydro facility- plus indicates 10% overfill is okay

5 - dunno

6- an old hydro
all the other stampings sound like old hydro dates.

It's still in hydro. Get it inspected visually, fill it, dive it. Don't know what kind of valve that is, but you can O2 clean the seat if it's still good, and match up the o-rings with standard Viton ones. If it's holding the air in now it's probably ok. A galvanized tank can be O2 cleaned (only the outside is galvanized, BTW).
Neil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom