Old SP Gorillas came apart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bubble-head

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
While diving yesterday, my 1991 vintage Scuba Pro Gorilla fin blades cracked and seperated from the foot pocket. While they have given me good use over the years, I didn't see any signs of wear out of the ordinary. Both fins gave away at the same time. Has anyone had this happen before?

bubble-head:
While diving yesterday, my 1991 vintage Scuba Pro Gorilla fin blades cracked and seperated from the foot pocket. While they have given me good use over the years, I didn't see any signs of wear out of the ordinary. Both fins gave away at the same time. Has anyone had this happen before?

So much for being "gorilla-like". I haven't heard of this, but finding anyone with gorillas these days has become rare.

Yeah, I have 3 buddies that are still using them. They worked pretty well for us but I was ready for an upgrade. They were also kind of sentamental to me, having dove around the world with them.

I bought a pair of those in 1990 and the blade started to separate from the foot pocket within a few dives. Got the impression it was a common problem in some batches.

bubble-head:
Wow! I guess I shouldn't compain since mine lasted as long as they did....on to a split fin.

Perhaps could we steer you towards an SP Jetfin...the long time classic?

The SP splits are ok, but certainly not close to the full thrust or planing ability of the old the gorillas. My two cents as a technical instructor. :)

p.s. I certainly understand being sentimental about a piece of kit that gives such long service!

just this year I talked to an instructor who had that exact same problem happen to him with gorilla's. He was on a dive and first one blade came off, then right before he was able to get back into the boat the other blade came off. Weird.

this is only the second time I have ever heard of this happening, so I don't think its that common, of course we are talking about 16 year old fins here. I love mine, and hope they last for another 16 years, but I keep looking for a new pair of fins that will compare to these. I still think the gorillas were the best fins made. hmm think I will hit ebay and try to find another pair so I have some extra.

There was a shop here in Hawaii that hoarded them after they went out of production. They were getting about $200 a pop for them (and people paid it!) Unfortunately they went out of business.

Well, I've ordered a set of the SP splits and will be getting a pair of the jets also. The best of both worlds, I guess.

Back
Top Bottom