Old ScubaPro Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EdCraig

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I own a MK5 1st stage with a Pilot 2nd stage. They werepurchased new in about 1980. I am the only owner. They worked flawlessly thelast time they were used. That would be about 1987. Is there any value left inmy regulators or do I just trash them?

Recommendation, take them to your local service tech and discuss with them (talk directly to the service tech) if they can service them and have repair parts. They need servicing before you can dive them anyway (rubber cracks, rust could happen, springs lose their spring, stuff happens over the years sitting in storage). The conversation should cost nothing as you are only asking if they are qualified to service the gear and have the parts or can get them).

If your local service tech can't service them (not qualified, can't get parts) then you will have a better idea of the direction you need to go. Lots of older well maintained gear still in service.

I have taken them to a dealer/tech. They seem to not even want to take a good look inside before wanting me to purchase new equipment. Old equals trash buy the new and improved. Just looking for recomendations from divers not salesmen.

Lots of value, although I am quite sure one of several I can think of will be quick to tell you they are not only worthless but dangerous and they will gladly safely dispose of them for you at no cost. :).....come to think of it I will too.
The MK-5 has a huge following on this board and most parts are easily available. Its a good performer and every bit as good a first stage as is made today...some would argue that is better built and I am inclined to agree. Now wheather or not your LDS wants to service them (aka sell you new instead) is a different matter. I am not too familure with the Pilot but a tech I have a lot of respect for really likes them..
Bottom line, you have a couple of good solid regs that are just as good any any reg on the market. Get them serviced or service them yourself and keep on diving them. Do a board search on the MK-5 you will see what I mean.

As Herman said, the MK5 is a great reg, even by modern standards, and parts should be readily available for servicing. The Pilot is a trickier case. I don't think all parts are readily available, though you might be able to find what you need on ebay (someone on ebay is selling a whole bunch of NOS Pilot parts right now). However, a seasoned and skillful technician can probably make due with parts availabe in order to service and tune your Pilot and keep it going. When properly tuned--and I understand that they are not easy to dial in perfectly--the Pilot is one of the best breathing regulators ever made, esp at deep depths.

In short, the hardest part about keeping your MK5/Pilot going is finding a good technician. Technicians are not all the same. There are very good ones and there are very bad ones. I would be surprised if there aren't some good ones in your neck of woods. That said, I would think that Florida is also where you could find loads of really lousy ones.

I purchased a MK V back in 1973..About 5 years ago I had a local Scuba Pro dealer said I could have them send it it back along with the original owners card it will be upgraded for free. Lo and behold I received a new Mk25 S600 as a replacement. Unfortunately Scuba Pro changed their policy on their rather 'open ended' Life Time Warranty policy..now have to jump thru all kinds of hoops to get anything free...

if you want to, you can keep these going. it will take more effort on your part, and finding a tech (not a dealer, a tech) who is willing and eager. if it is worth it to you, it can be done.

on the other hand, if it isn't worth it to you, you can sell them for something to offset buying either new new or slightly used newer ones. don't trash them, though.

If you elect to sell the Pilot, let me know as I'd be interested.

Not many techs service them anymore, and most have been converted to an Air 1 configuration as the Pilot itself can be a little touchy to tune and parts are scarce.

If you like I'd service your Mk 5, update the yoke if needed, and provide a Balanced Adjustable (R156) or Adjustable (R109) newly serviced in good condition in exchange for the Pilot second stage. The Balanced Adjustable is easier to get serviced as it is basically a metal cased G250.

On Ebay a Pilot goes for $100 - $200 depending on the condition and the ebay gods, while a MK-5 sells for $15-$40. On the low end is the early model with the skinny yoke and 2 lp ports on the high end is the latter model with the heavy yoke and 5 lp ports. There was a thread a while back where a member showed all the dangerous vintage regs he purchased from a LDS. Some are perfectly serviceable and in mint condition.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom