Old Scubapro Reg - is it worth upgrading it??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NoFe2O3

Registered
Reaction score
I have a Scubapro MK15/D400 that I bought (and used) during the '90's. It was a DIN setup, so when I moved (long story...), I bought a new system with a "conventional" first stage.

Well - now my SO decided to get a C-card, and we're trying to decide between buying a new, mid-range set-up, or maybe just equip my D400 with a new first stage, plus a new console.

That D400 was a super-easy breather, and I know it was top of the line back in the '90's. But I have no idea whether it's worthwhile trying to resuscitate that old friend in 2011.

Ideas???

for the record, I still dive 109BA's on mk-5 & mk-10 firsts.....

The D series is very particular when it comes to service procedures. Many reg techs might not have even seen one, let alone serviced one. (for the record I have only serviced one 400, and that was under the watchful eye of our lead tech). Great breathers, just make sure you've got someone top-notch to work on it.

It's a keeper - though getting some 2nd stage replacement parts can be a challenge. Many (me included)think that this was one of SPs best second stages. Then they screwed up with the 650. OK personal opinions being expressed here.:bash:
Some may like the square looking 700 metal 2nd. To me, life was always great with the 250 (got one) and 400 (would like a nice one in great shape)and the 500 (got one) .The 600, well I like my 500 and 250 better - but that's just personal opinion. All 3 perform about the same.

I thought you were talking about old Scubapro reg. A Mk15/D400 barely qualifies as old. Routine service parts are readily available but you may have to do a bit of shopping to find a tech with experience. It would be silly to replace them although I am a firm believer that a diving couple should have a third setup ready to go as backup.

BTW, there is really nothing to upgrade. Just have it inspected and serviced if necessary.

Off topic- but in my opinion a 650 can be a phenomenal reg. Funny looking, without a doubt!! Went through a number of very unfortunate issues? Certainly! Still a great reg to use. The 700 is also an amazing reg to use. The 400 is also in the same game as the other two, just was a bit ahead of it's time. A bit finicky and pretty far removed from most of the other regs around at the time (downstream, pilot valve etc) Keep it, find a good tech and enjoy it!

The X650 has very little in common with the D series in terms of how it works. Any decent tech should have no problem servicing the D400, unfortunately you might have to look around for a decent one. They're not difficult, just different than the typical barrel poppet 2nd stage. The MK15 might actually be a bit more problematic for some service techs; it needs a special set of snap ring pliers to get the bushings out, and there's a bushing that looks like it should come out with the rest, but is in fact permanently installed in the body of the reg. I'm certain more than one technician has ruined a MK15 trying to dig that bushing out. If you have an early MK15, it might need the upgrade kit which I believe changed the seat carrier. I have one of these 'upgrade kits' I've just never seen a MK15 that wasn't already upgraded.

You will not find a better breathing regulator at any price on the market currently. The D400 was the last of a great design that addresses some common problems in scuba regulators in a very elegant way. I'd offer to buy it, but I already have too many. It is true that SP is not still producing most parts for it, but the rebuild kits should be available for many years still. The MK15 was the first of the "modern" (I guess) SP balanced piston 1st stages that used the bushing system to reduce extrusion on the HP o-ring. This makes the reg really well suited for high pressure tanks. If you wanted to change to something that might be more service-tech friendly, I'd look for a MK20 or 25 and keep the D400.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom