old scubapro jetfin strap mod question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just found my grandpas Scubapro jetfins (now I can take 10 lb's off my weightbelt :D ) and am wondering if there is a simple way to adapt a more secure heel strap/cable. Are there off the shelf mods for this type of buckle?
100_4179.jpg

XS Scuba, Halcyon and OMS all sell a direct replacement spring strap for them. You just pry the old rivited buckle off and attach the new buckle on using the existing lugs on the fin.

Som models use a cylindrical end on the strap that mates with the concave surface of the lug and is help in place with a metal wire you squeeze closed into the existing holes. Other models use a metal fitting and a bolt that fits the existing lug. Both work fine.

OTOH, the straps on them work extremely well, you'll have to replace them every 2 - 5 years, but that's not all that big of an issue.

Thanks guys,
They aren't really grandpas (they just look like they could have been) but I like ol' school so...
I picked them up for $10 to have as spares (my other fins cost a whole $20).
Did I mention they are heavy...

They aren't that heavy, but they will be if you put spring straps on them. As they are, they are slightly negative in salt water.

They may be heavy - but they are the "new" lightening bolt" jet fins. The older ones with out the lightening bots are really heavy.

I found I had to replace jet fin straps about every 5-10 years - they hold up better than you'd think - but spring straps are low snag and make the fin much easier to put on and take off.

DA Aquamaster:
but spring straps are low snag and make the fin much easier to put on and take off.

To get any easier, they'd have to go on and off without me doing anything at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom