Old School VS. New School Concerts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OE2X

ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
Last night I took my very talented guitar playing son to his first real rock concert. It was Greenday. We both had a great time as the band was excellent.

During one of the songs with the lights dimmed low on stage and tempo slowed, I looked around at the audience. There were a lot of cigarette lighters held high, but what intrigued me was the wave of LCD's that were out there. It took me a moment or two to catch on, but then it dawned on me how much and yet how little things had changed...

Here was a punk band that had revitalized a style of music from the early '80's and put a new exterior coating on it. The music was born from political angst care of the Bush administration. The style had elements of grunge, rock and even some blues all wrapped up in an envelope of punk. The lyrics had an updated spin and still catered to emotions from young to middle aged.

What was different though was the technology. Twenty years ago when I was still doing the concert scene, we all had our lighters to show our quieter emotions. Now it's all about cell phones, which it seemed, we all had - except for my son who left his at home.

In many ways so much has changed and yet in others so little. Our country still is embroiled in a war that is being fed to us as a fight for democracy. Adolescence is still a very trying period where they think they can change the world because of their virtue. While we don't have an oil embargo, because of a couple of hurricanes we may once again have gas lines. From a new school perspective we have the ability to communicate instantaneously to anyone in any corner of the world. We have the ability to learn about other cultures at DSL speeds. The world as we know it has become much smaller. We can forecast life altering storms and make every attempt to get out of harms way.

Yes our world has changed in amazing ways, but has it made us better people?

In a way yes - the whole "global community" thing is quite nice. I sit here in my house and speak to you all, all over the world. I've found friends I might never have met, and learned so much about other people.

But on the other hand no - look at our world. All that technology and people still go without water and food?

To quote someone else "The hardest thing in this world, is to live in it."

Nauticalbutnice

I guess I would have thought with all the communication possibilities that it would give us more knowledge of others and thus make us tolerant...

But it's made some people more prejudiced. Free communications means people can spread messages of hate and fear as easily as people can spread messages of hope and love.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

So much for evolving.

It's the haves vs. the have nots.

And it's always been that way. But I have learned that sometimes the help and support you need comes from the unlikeliest of sources.

Nauticalbutnice :fruit:

Different technology, same human tendencies. Instant communication, yes, but a lot more media coverage and political spin on things.

By the way, big Green Day fan. Fan since they put out 'Dookie' back in 1994.

OE2X:
Last night I took my very talented guitar playing son to his first real rock concert. It was Greenday. We both had a great time as the band was excellent.

During one of the songs with the lights dimmed low on stage and tempo slowed, I looked around at the audience. There were a lot of cigarette lighters held high, but what intrigued me was the wave of LCD's that were out there. It took me a moment or two to catch on, but then it dawned on me how much and yet how little things had changed...

Here was a punk band that had revitalized a style of music from the early '80's and put a new exterior coating on it. The music was born from political angst care of the Bush administration. The style had elements of grunge, rock and even some blues all wrapped up in an envelope of punk. The lyrics had an updated spin and still catered to emotions from young to middle aged.

What was different though was the technology. Twenty years ago when I was still doing the concert scene, we all had our lighters to show our quieter emotions. Now it's all about cell phones, which it seemed, we all had - except for my son who left his at home.

In many ways so much has changed and yet in others so little. Our country still is embroiled in a war that is being fed to us as a fight for democracy. Adolescence is still a very trying period where they think they can change the world because of their virtue. While we don't have an oil embargo, because of a couple of hurricanes we may once again have gas lines. From a new school perspective we have the ability to communicate instantaneously to anyone in any corner of the world. We have the ability to learn about other cultures at DSL speeds. The world as we know it has become much smaller. We can forecast life altering storms and make every attempt to get out of harms way.

Yes our world has changed in amazing ways, but has it made us better people?

Back to the real stuff. The music and your son. How did HE like it? Did it motivate him even more to play (even, as he said to me, "they're stuff is too easy for me, I'm moving on the Hendrix...")

All of the zillions of shows I went to (before the MTV days) had a huge impact on the way I played, the way I configured my kit, my clothes, and all that. Especially my first "real" show. Just wondering how it impacted him as a musician, as a future rock star and as a kid.

---
Ken

Sounds like the experience made you a little nostalgic. I have to admit, the recent concert I went to made me glad that I was able to experience the concerts of my time. I chaperoned my 9 year old god-sister to Avril Lavigne and Simple Plan this year and they covered Song 2 by Blur. I was the only one in the front that knew the song and was rocking out...

I saw Green Day back in 1998. Best show I've ever gone to. Glad your son could experience it with you. I hope the concert stimulates your son to be a better person, but I'm with Ken - did it stimulate him to become a better guitar player? :)

Just wondering what music of nowadays is his influence. Metallica was mine.

Song 2 by Blur?!?! Thats not even ten years old! Serves you right to feel old for going to a concert with 9 year olds.....who the hell is Simple Plan?!

I think when i was 6 my parents took me to Shaun Cassidy...
Last concert i went to was the Sex Pistols reunion in Sydney...96 or 97....little different than Cassidy... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom