old reg/nitrox ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lsudive

Registered
Reaction score
My reg is about 15 years old (still going . . . ). I just completed my nitrox course and will be doing my check outs Sunday in Roatan. Should I use mine or rent a newer one? I know most regs are Ok for up to 40%, I'm just wondering if the older ones were made that way as well. Thanks

Humm, that OLD, I would say NO. Hard to say for sure, but when it comes to stuff like this it's ALWAYS better safe than sorry. I'd take it to a GOOD LDS, and have them check it out, clean it, and replace necessary orings.

Peace of mind...

My guess would be that you should have it serviced by your dive shop, and let them know you will be diving Nitrox. I think the main issue is the lubricants used in this case. Your service tech should know.

I had it serviced at the LDS, the same place I took the nitrox course, and the same people I am going on the trip with this weekend. So, they know I will be using nitrox. I know these folks pretty well, and they never mentioned needing a new reg for nitrox. They are familiar with my old equipment. Just thought I'd get some opinions here before taking the plunge. Hopefully some more people will chime in on this.

For any nitrox mixture under 40% you don't have to worry about the reg. The oxygen issue is only a problem at high concentrations and under high pressure.

As long as you keep up with the proper reg servicing you won't have any problems nitrox or not.

Under 40% it is not really an issue. But most companies have moved to nitrox compatible components for the regs they currently support. So if you can still get annual service kits, the odds are good that you can get it o2 cleaned and nitrox ready at the next annual service.

Scubapro and US Divers / Aqua Lung are two companies that are very good about updating/supporting older regs.

What brand reg is it? USD did not approve their older regs for nitrox until 2000 or so. Recently there was a thread about a USD reg and nitrox. I e-mailed AquaLung about it and posted their response.

It's a Cressi-Sub reg. Has a good many miles on it. My hunch was that as long as the mix was <40% it would be fine.

I have been diving Nitrox on my Cressi Sub F1 which was purchased new in 1987 , with no problems . If used on Nitrox blends of less than 40 % oxygen. They should be serviced every year . Mention to your Service technician that it will be used for Nitrox.

Happy diving

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom