Old mk17 LP Ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have an older MK17 (non evo) . It has 4 LP ports. But only the upper 2 are marke as HFP (high flow ports)

I will be using a long hose 5ft. And a 22in necklaced stage2.

If in the upright position, the HFP are on top. So the 22in necklaced reg is plugged in the HFP. And the lower port (no marking) is where the 5ft long hose is attached.

Is there any difference between both LP ports? Does it produce the same air? Comfort etc?

i tried inverting the 1st stage. HFP is now at the bottom . Long hose gets the HFP. While the necklaced stage2 gets the unmark LP port. But this produces a wierd kink on the necklaced hose.

Are both ports really different? HFP and the unmarked LP ports? Because they are im flipping the stage 1 to its original position

If you disconnect the hoses and compare the ports, you'll see that there's a more direct path to the outflow track of the poppet via the HFPs. If I recall, there's a little cutout in the body of the reg to facilitate that path.
In any case, that's more of an ANSTI machine benefit than perceptible. Unless you are diving your long hose on deep air (high density gas), I really doubt you can feel it. At 165 ft, in cold water, at 65 RMV it's probably easily measurable on the machine. For regular diving, I wouldn't give it a second thought. Use whatever port routes best.
If you have a second tec setup, borrow your second long hose and compare. I really doubt you'll notice, even breathing as hard as you can at the surface.

so basically... none at all. if the stage1 is cap down. somehow the upper port is facing up. the 22in hose would bow upward then down. instead if just hang by my right shoulder then under the chin

I used to have two non-EVO Mk17s and was not able to notice a difference between the two ports, whether a long hose configuration or with my FFM.

I used to have two non-EVO Mk17s and was not able to notice a difference between the two ports, whether a long hose configuration or with my FFM.

wow ok. thats a relief. i wanted to setup the 1st stage up side down for the HFP to be down for the long hose. apparently the unmarked port is angled down when the 1st stage is upright. so its angled up when you invert the 1st stage. the necklace22in hose doesnt rest on my shoulder .

why did you replace your mk17s?

why did you replace your mk17s?

The Mk17s were replaced with the Mk17EVOs, not because there was an issue with the non-EVOs, but because I can. As an instructor and manager every-so-often I sell my gear and replace it with the newer version (that's if I like the newer version).

what about the newer version did you like?

Both the non-EVO and the EVO work great. The EVO is a bit tight if one is using hose protectors and a transmitter, which is why a new EVO comes with an extender. Without hose protectors the SP or SW transmitter fits just fine.

Another reason I tend to get a newer version is so that I can break it down and learn it before servicing others.

with the cap facing up, I have a 22in bungied stage2 on the upper right port, and a 60in (5ft) long hose on the lower right port.

with that... the long hose goes under the right armpit , left shoulder , around the nape, right cheek then my mouth. for some reason... the hose under my arm doesnt hang, it wants to flip up. If i had no right arm. the hose would flip up to about my right shoulder.

Did I attach the hoses right? or would you rather that the 22in hose be in the lower port and the 5ft hose in the upper port. but i would be crossing hose. Honestly I dont like how i look i feel like i look like i have black spaghetti all over me. tried it over my local pool.

with the cap facing up, I have a 22in bungied stage2 on the upper right port, and a 60in (5ft) long hose on the lower right port.

with that... the long hose goes under the right armpit , left shoulder , around the nape, right cheek then my mouth. for some reason... the hose under my arm doesnt hang, it wants to flip up. If i had no right arm. the hose would flip up to about my right shoulder.

Did I attach the hoses right? or would you rather that the 22in hose be in the lower port and the 5ft hose in the upper port. but i would be crossing hose. Honestly I dont like how i look i feel like i look like i have black spaghetti all over me. tried it over my local pool.
Try hanging it so the lower hose takes a set, I also use mine with the bottom up (balance chamber end) with the early 17 style so the upper hose has a slight bias away from the lower hose which on me helps keep the short hose from catching on my shoulder.

Back
Top Bottom