Old Gear vs New Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use mainly old gear, tank from 65, regs from the 70s, KMB-8 band mask from 69. The rest I replace as needed, usually with used equipment that I pay next to nothing for from people who rarely used then in the first place.

About the only "new" gear I have is my wetsuits and one mask. My tanks are from the 70s, my fins a decade or two old, all my BCDs are models that haven't been made in about two decades (I bought three of them in new condition on E-Bay because I love them). Of course with older gear like regs I do like some redundancy if I'm not diving shallow. I just had one of my tanks from the 1970s VIPed and the shop owner called me over to look inside. I thought there might be a problem but the tank was as clean as it must have been when it was new nearly 40 years ago.

For a long time, I was in the 'use it til it fails' camp. Now, while I am still generally in the camp, I am thinking of doing some recycling.

I have some extra gear - a couple of wetsuits - that I can probably sell before it is considered ancient. I have a couple of wings that I simply am not using (and which have essentially been replaced by newer models), and it is probably time to get rid of them, before they fail from age / rot.

I have some regulator second stages that are 'OK' but over time I have honed in on one particular second stage that I prefer for virtually all uses - singles, doubles, deco regs, and I am thinking of selling a number of my older second stages - they work just fine but are not what I now prefer

So, I have no problem with older gear. I can now see some merit in periodically recycling older gear while it still has some value - i.e. before it quits - and going with newer (used) equipment.

I'm looking into recycling some of my old gear to downsize my dive locker as well, it seems a shame to have it sitting around not getting used. I've passed on a number of wetsuits over the years, however I've been reluctant to release hardware to this point, I need to change but old dogs and new tricks...

Bob

As an inland diver I don't get our as much as those of you living in great dive places but, like most in Colorado we hold our own. So our gear doesn't get as much use. All my stuff is really old. My Poseidon regulator set is one of my original gear purchases in 2001, same with my fins. My lights are old C-8 and C-4 incandescent. I just wore out a second BC. I think travel is harder on BC's than diving. Ran my last computer until it just quit. Could hardly read the screen on land it was so scratched up. Wear exposure protection until it rots off of me or shrinks too much. :D Gear bags fall apart before I give them up.

I like having new things but for some reason I just run dive gear 'til it quits. So are you a new gear guy/gal or a old gear guy/gal?

Yes. :)

I'm a little of both. I have some incandescent Q40s and an SL4. Two of my lights failed and it would cost more than they are worth to fix them. So I tossed them. I also have my original BCD, some old regulators and old fins. I still have my original wetsuit (I'm actually throwing it away this weekend; it has been re-glued and has a couple of holes to big to glue). However I have a fairly new wetsuit and a brand new wetsuit (which is why I'm throwing out the original one). I have brand new lights, a GoPro, a fairly new BP/W, a brand new BP/W.

Essentially, I used run dive gear until it quits but lately I've been buy new dive gear and I'm starting to sell of my gear while it still have some life in it.

old gear, much of it was new in 1989. i replace stuff when it wears out. just replaced my original booties a few years ago (although my divebuddy thought my old ones wore out a long long time ago). still on original regs, fins and mask.

i consider an upgrade if some new technology leads to an improved product feature. so i did upgrade my original air only dive computer that was still fully functional (sold it on ebay for $100).

next upgrade will probably be my divebuddies monster RCD8 dive light (yes, it takes 8 D cells) for a small lightweight LED based product. unfortunately that light has never failed...

The technology changes in scuba very slowly, so in general I am old gear.

The exception IMO is lights, they still get better every few years and I cant resist having a brighter, smaller, more rugged light. I re-purpose the old ones. Last time I counted I had about 10 dive lights around the house, one in each vehicle, 2 in the tornado box, 1 bedside, 1 in a go bag, 1 in the garage, 1 in my office and 2 primaries plus a backup in the dive locker. I am a dive light whore.

The technology changes in scuba very slowly, so in general I am old gear.

The exception IMO is lights, they still get better every few years and I cant resist having a brighter, smaller, more rugged light. I re-purpose the old ones. Last time I counted I had about 10 dive lights around the house, one in each vehicle, 2 in the tornado box, 1 bedside, 1 in a go bag, 1 in the garage, 1 in my office and 2 primaries plus a backup in the dive locker. I am a dive light whore.

Ahhh! Finally a partial pitch for the new gear crowd.

I know there are more "latest greatest" gear guys. I can see it on dive decks across the world.

I have a great old Dacor reg. The gauge console is pink!!!! I like it but it is 'heavy'. All that chrome I guess. It works great though. I have a new bc only because ones size seems to change at around 50 :(

I have a great old Dacor reg. The gauge console is pink!!!! I like it but it is 'heavy'. All that chrome I guess. It works great though. I have a new bc only because ones size seems to change at around 50 :(
I hear you. We all seem to be UPgrading our dive suits and such.

All my regs are old except a Hog set I bought recently and that was because parts are available to the end user so I figured I would try it as an option. So far it's been great.
I get so much old used gear dumped on me by people who used to dive and gave it up for one reason or another. I just got another box of stuff a couple days ago, an old Seaquest jacket BC from probably the late 70's or early 80's. It's still in great shape, not that I'm going to use it, but I could if I wanted. The reg set is a Dacor 900 with a balanced metal second stage. I don't know exactly what I'm going to do with it since the company is gone, but if I wanted to get it running I'm sure I could source some parts and get it in shape.
Most of my tanks are from 1959 to 2004 - all steel. I turn down free Aluminum tanks all the time.
I'm the "run the wheels off it" type. I see older used gear and know most of it can be serviced and brought right up to new condition.
There is so much used gear out there if you look. A person could get into diving for damn near free if they made it a quest to look for used free gear. It's out there, I'm living proof of someone who somehow became a free gear magnet.
Most gear never changes much. Buying new gear all the time is a waste of money unless something is totally shot.
Besides, using gear with a good patina says you've been at it a while and is considered a status symbol in my view.

I'm with Bob DBF, I have way too much extra stuff that I'll never use and need to purge.
We should plan a local scuba swap meet somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom