Old Bauer and Mako questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

assuming the threads are good, but also assuming they are older than 10 years whats the consensus on putting them to use?
kinda like using an out of date hyrdo tank, no bueno?
With so few cycles on them (maybe a thousand?) I would not hesitate to use them. If you are nervous, press them with water or hydraulic fluid to 5kPSI and hold it there for a half hour.

Look under the bands that hold them to the compressor too. I had a set pitting in that spot.

I decided to put power to the mako today and see what happens...checked the oil and cranked it up
Surprisingly well so far.
Turns on without issue in manual and auto.
Runs smooth with no weird noises or knocking.

I ran it to 500 and did a leak check, found a few loose fittings but nothing substantial. Drained the separator, and towers. Nothing funky came out of either.
The unloaders functions normally and restarts with pressure with ease.
It gets to 1050psi though and the relief or safety valve on the separator on the pump starts leaking.

I'm kind of afraid to run it past that without doing a complete inspection on the towers and replacing the filters and oil.

20181019_181144.jpg
20181019_181152.jpg

Sounds like things are looking reasonably good so far, but not perfectly simple. The safety valve on the interstage separator opening is usually due to the next higher stage leaking pressure back. This is due to a bad intake valve on the next stage and is to be expected on a neglected machine. I don't know enough about the specific machine to know if you can clean up the valve and get it working or if you need new parts.

Good luck.

Sounds like things are looking reasonably good so far, but not perfectly simple. The safety valve on the interstage separator opening is usually due to the next higher stage leaking pressure back. This is due to a bad intake valve on the next stage and is to be expected on a neglected machine. I don't know enough about the specific machine to know if you can clean up the valve and get it working or if you need new parts.

Good luck.
+1

Mako update-
Cleaned the 3rd stage intake valve to no avail...
Shop towels and a rub with a scotchbrite cleaned up most of the gunk but it's not perfectly flat. On the head a ever so slight indentation where the intake valve sits is apparent. Maybe the leak is coming from there instead of the valve parts themselves? New valve is the way I'm leaning...hoping I dont need a new head as well.
20181021_125929.jpg
20181021_132758.jpg
20181021_134450.jpg

Update on the bauer.
Ran for 10 mins then pressurized the system.
Everything looks good
Immediately jumps to 6-700psi of oil pressure as soon as its turned on and with the system closed and pressurizing it pumps all the way to 4500psi and shuts off. Around 700 psi it sounds like all hell is breaking loose inside but silences itself in about 5 seconds and purrs like a kitten again. Oil pressure remains constant during all this chaos.
New gauges are needed as the needles are bent and get caught on the display backing on the wrap around on the way up to pressure.

Only question is have is about the final stage lubricator with the sight glass...after the machine is up to pressure there are bubbles coming from the bottom hole at a slow rate but you can definitely hear an internal hissing while watching the bubbles leak through the lubricator sight glass and the sight glass is never completely full because of this.

Normal? Minor issue? Major issue??
20181019_195632.jpg

20181021_143104.jpg

Sounds like you might have gotten pretty lucky with the bauer. My older machines don't have an oil site glass so I can't tell you if its good or bad. With mine, I have a pressure gauge on the oil and and a pipe with a section of clear hose that pumps oil to the second stage so you can tell if its flowing. Generally, I have assumed that if the oil pressure is good, it should be fine. You might be able to find a manual at scubaengineer to help you figure it out. Have you figured out a final separator and filter for the Bauer yet?

It does have a triplex dryer/catalyst on it inside the cabinet. I see a few models have additional filters mounted externally, do I need to look at adding one also or jut replace and clean the triplex?
20181022_125502.jpg
20181022_125456.jpg

Oh wow, that tower didn't show up in the previous pics. Looks like a standard bauer PO filter housing which should be good enough for grade E air (with a new cartridge).

Good to hear.
So the air bubbles coming through the sight glass, coming from what I'm guessing is air leaking into the crankcase, isnt of concern?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom