Old Aluminum Tanks Safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have two aluminum tanks over 10 years old, been in my closet for about 8 years, full. Are they safe to sell to someone, if they get them tested? I saw some scary pictures of exploded tanks on the web. The age of them and the fact they have been full, has me worried. I'd rather destroy them than have some one hurt.

If they pass that, then they are safe to sell. Age is insignifigant, an inspection and hydro will reveal much, if not all. Depending on the alloy of the cylinders, you might opt for electronic testing of the neck as well.

The horror stories with aluminum tanks comes from an alloy used in the early 80's 81 thru 84 I beleive..

Since then catalina and luxfer changed to a stronger more pure aluminum..there should be no problems with the tanks If you do hydro and VIP them just include it in your cost, and it is also a good selling feature.:D

Good luck

NINJA

10 yrs is old??? Don't tell that to my 1976 tank! A good vis and a hydro and they will be fine (assuming they pass and I bet they will).

Welcome to the board Luther.

I purchased one of the first aluminum 80's, in 1972. I still use it for air tools and tire inflation. I had it tested and inspected two years ago, the second time it had ever been hydroed. It passed. Statistically, the Luxfer, Kidde or Alcan tanks manufactured before 1988 are the ones to watch. Luxfer has issued a couple of bulletins on the subject requiring additional, and expensive, testing. Personally, I think the old Kidde tanks are the ones to throw away immediately. Apparently, all aluminum tanks made after 1988, and all Catalina tanks, are formed with the 6061 alloy which is reputed to be safe from cracking and sustained use failure.

A friend gave me two 20 year old tanks with 10 year old air. I had them tested and they both failed. Before making them into wind chimes I checked the Luxfer web site. Now I have two new tanks. Worst part was the smell of 10 year old air.

test em, don O

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom