Okinawa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NigerHadiza

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a question about Okikinawa. I am thinking of doing the unthinkable and going scuba diving in Okinawa during Golden Week. I know, I know. I can hear the moans of pain but this is my only free time to get down there unfortunately! All of my other time is "booked out" and I am leaving the country at the end of July.

Is Okinawa as good as diving anywhere else? If it is good, I was going to try it out. Otherwise, I was going to try to get a trip somewhere close. I just hate to see more divers than fish!!!! Any suggestions for Golden Week? I also have to think of the travel time, cost, etc.

Sincerely,
Anna

We dive year round in Okinawa so between now and Golden Week we have quite a bit of divable days. You can come down for a weekend of diving for a reasonable price or longer. If you must come during Golden Week just remember to book early to ensure you have boat seats and rental gear available for you if needed. Even during Golden Week you will see more fish than divers, we currently have the mantas playing in the Keramas on a daily basis and the crowds are very low.

NigerHadiza:
Is Okinawa as good as diving anywhere else? If it is good, I was going to try it out. Otherwise, I was going to try to get a trip somewhere close. I just hate to see more divers than fish!!!! Any suggestions for Golden Week? I also have to think of the travel time, cost, etc.

hi nigerhadiza :wink: ,

the golden week in okinawa is not really as bad as u think. i dove in kabira bay of ishigaki island golden week this year and enjoyed watching more than several mantas and less than a few boats. the secret is to go there either in the beginnning or end of it. it's also better to go to remote islands (yonaguni, ishigaki, iriomote, etc.) than the main island of okinawa.

the problem is, of course, booking. try to plan ahead and get the flight reservation two month prior to ur departure as soon as the booking starts.

good luck!

ken chung ar

Okinawa diving is beautiful all year round and you don't neccessarily have to do boat dives to enjoy the island the shore dives are just as enjoyable so in case you don't have time to book anything just PM me and let me know when your comming and I'll be more that happy to out diving with you......

Yeah Japan Diver runs trips out there and has been there many times pM him

Hi Anna,
Okinawa is the best place for diving in Japan, I think.
Especially, dive points around Zamami Island have very beautiful corals and you can see so many fishes.

Please enjoy diving in Okinawa.

hi mjenkins52,

i have dove there several times and took many pics (see my photo gallery).

it's called ISEKI POINT. ISEKI means ruins in japanese. it's near the southern shore of Yonaguni island and very shallow (-15 to 25 fsw in depth), which could be a problem on a windy day. it is easily accessible, however, in winter season, when they have north or northwestern wind.

it's going to be a good season for visiting the place soon. don't forget to see hammerheads, too!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom