Okinawa WWII landing sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is really interesting, I learned to SCUBA on Okinawa. I was stationed at Torri and we did not have an facilities... we used the Reef Rovers C.mpressors and gear at Kadena Yacht Club

Cheers,
Roger

Roger, were you here when the concrete sailboat was scuttled?

Roger - here is a photo I took a month ago somewhere offshore while scootering. It is a pile of 40mm brass that is littering the bottom of the ocean.

2245380430100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

This is my wife and dive partner on another dive where she found another piece of brass (dated 1943) just under the sand.

2983385700100390769S600x600Q85.jpg

Roger, were you here when the concrete sailboat was scuttled?

Katamuki,

There is a new sailboat that ran a ground today. The Japanese Coast Guard, Police, Ambulance, and Fire were out to check it out. On top of the Security Forces, and the MP's were there plus every emergency person along the water front. We were the third boat on the scene as we heard the distress call over the radio as we were finishing our dive. The boat was all ready washed up on the reef when we arrived from Torii Atoll. The passengers were standing on shore. The plan is try to pull the sailboat off at high tide tomorrow morning. If they can't rescue the boat you could be the first to dive this new wreck. The location is just south of the runway lights for Kadena AFB. In this same area I found a conex, and a mooring point maybe used during WWII.

It wasnt a kinda smallish sailboat was it? With a little outboard on back? I had just ended a dive today out of the marina and as I was taking gear apart I watched a little boat trying to move through the big waves. The seas were pretty rough today.

When you say Torii atoll do you mean Inanbishi or were you around the west side a bit where its deeper?

I was on 58 past Kadena when a Japanese Fire Dept van towing a PWC drove by me back toward the marina...

I have the WWII Invasion charts for Okinawa in my car. The overall operationa was called Operation Iceberg with 10th Army General Buckner in charge. The major division were to the North was Hija River/Kadena Town was the Marines who went north, and to the South of the Hija River was the Army who went south with 2 Divisions of Marine and 2 Divisions of Army landing at both locations for the initial invasion. The 6th Marines came ashore later day 10 or so near Camp Kinser and attacked Sugar Loaf Hill. The subs areas during the intial invasion were color codes this looks to be down to Battalion Size. Maybe the smaller lanes Company Size were numbered. Maybe the 6th Marines landing site was numbered or maybe the modern day scuba diver does not know their Okinawa Invasion history. Starting from North to South the landing zones are as follows: 6th Marine Division Green 1 and Green 2, Red 1,2,3. 6th Marine Division Landed Between Yomitan port and the back gate of Torii. 1st Marine Division Blue 1,2 Yellow 1,2. 1st Marine Landed between the backgate of Torii Station and the Hija River. The Army land south of the Hija River. 7th Division had Purple 1,2 and Orange 1,2 they landed at Kadena North area. 96th Division landed from Kadena Marina to Sunabe they had White 1,2,3 and Brown 1,2,3,4.
General Simon Bolivar Buckner was, I believe, killed in action on Okinawa, the highest ranking US officer killed in action during WW2.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom