Okinawa Shore dive, Need Help Pls...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We got tanks from here if you want to check prices http://www.hot-station.jp/index.htm. They have Nitrox and were fine with us keeping tanks overnight if we couldn't make it back to them before they closed.

In terms of dive sites for small animals, yes Tengan Pier is great for nudis, also sometimes juvenile fish (e.g. sweetlips). It had some very pretty fans out in the deeper part as well. It's shallow and a HUGE dive site - easy to do long dives and multiple dives if you like (we did 4 two hour dives there over a few days and would have done more if we hadn't run out of time).

IIRC there were supposed to be some jacks and white tip sharks at Cape Zanpa (saw the jacks, didn't go deep enough to look for the white tips). The hike to that entrance point is grueling however.

For rarer critter sightings you might want to nose around FB to see what locals have seen recently. A couple pages I found helpful were

https://www.facebook.com/groups/115283658525549/ and
Hedonic Experience

and I was very grateful for the detailed dive site info here Dive Sites .

Can't help you on whether regular pygmies (Bargabanti, etc) can be seen from Okinawa shore dives but if you have time to stop in Hachijo-jima (if you're going to be near Tokyo), that's a great spot for the endemic Japanese pygmy which is accessible from shore with a good guide.

is there also macro? how is it compare to the philipines or papua new guinea or palau? or is it diffrent

There is definitely macro. But I believe most of the species you can see in Okinawa itself (vs the out islands) overlap with the species of Indonesia and the Philippines (I have not been to PNG yet).

For really special macro in Japan, including endemics, I can recommend Izu peninsula. We also saw some special macro in Hachijo jima thanks to our terrific dive op.

Comparing Okinawa to the Philippines is difficult as I've nearly always had a local dive guide in the Philippines and we were diving independently (no local guide) for all but 1 day in Okinawa. Tengan Pier had by far the best macro of all the Okinawa sites we were able to see; the other sites had far less. Overall, Okinawa in July did not have the diversity and volume of macro of e.g. Anilao in prime season, but few places in the world do.

is there also macro? how is it compare to the philipines or papua new guinea or palau? or is it diffrent

There is definitely macro. But I believe most of the species you can see in Okinawa itself (vs the out islands) overlap with the species of Indonesia and the Philippines (I have not been to PNG yet).

For really special macro in Japan, including endemics, I can recommend Izu peninsula. We also saw some special macro in Hachijo jima thanks to our terrific dive op.

Comparing Okinawa to the Philippines is difficult as I've nearly always had a local dive guide in the Philippines and we were diving independently (no local guide) for all but 1 day in Okinawa. Tengan Pier had by far the best macro of all the Okinawa sites we were able to see; the other sites had far less. Overall, Okinawa in July did not have the diversity and volume of macro of e.g. Anilao in prime season, but few places in the world do.
Which dive op did you use in Hachijojima?

Which dive op did you use in Hachijojima?

Concolor was the dive op - amazing above and below the water. Kotaro not only made our Hachijo jima trip, he also connected us with a fantastic Izu peninsula guide. Tremendous guy and superb diver and photographer.

He invites his guests to share photos from their dives on the op's Facebook account if you want to see more.

Is there any rebreather diving and wrecks?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom