Okeanos Aggressor I Guanacaste & the Bat Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadivingtom

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I booked the Okeanos Aggressor I Guanacaste & the Bat Islands for Nov 4. I booked my first night hotel, I have not booked my hotel at the end of the trip. I will have Saturday evening, and Sunday to explore before returning home on Monday.

How is the diving?

Any recommendations for a safe hotels within walking distance to night life, and restaurants in, or around San Jose?

I just got back from a failed trip on the Okeanos Aggressor II for Guanacaste/Bat Islands (trip dates were going to be 10/5 - 10/12/17) but we got totally blown out by Hurricane Nate. We flew in Wed night 10/4 and flew right back out early Friday morning 10/6. We never saw the boat, the ocean, or even the Sun as it was heavy overcast and raining the entire time, so a huge waste of time. Costa Rica was having large flash flooding/mudslides, especially in the Guanacaste region up north, so many roads in the area were impassable. We suffered sporadic power outages too (storm related). We did get free replacement trip vouchers, good for a free trip anytime in the next 2 years, so my dive shop has already got us rescheduled for 7/14/18, so maybe better luck for us next time.

There are some youtube videos that will give a good overview of diving conditions, plus the boat has their own short video as a demo:

Liveaboard Scuba Dive Yachts Vacations & Trips | Aggressor Fleet

If you like Zip Lining, you can book with Bill Beards, as that was an add on to our failed trip, which we'll try for again on our 2018 replacement trip, our group is also looking into additional off-site adventures for exploring the volcano and river rafting.

We stayed in 2 hotels the boat uses/recommends (Holiday Inn Express Forum and Holiday Inn Escazu). Both were perfectly fine.

Last edited:
I just got back from a failed trip on the Okeanos Aggressor II for Guanacaste/Bat Islands (trip dates were going to be 10/5 - 10/12/17) but we got totally blown out by Hurricane Nate. We flew in Wed night 10/4 and flew right back out early Friday morning 10/6. We never saw the boat, the ocean, or even the Sun as it was heavy overcast and raining the entire time, so a huge waste of time. Costa Rica was having large flash flooding/mudslides, especially in the Guanacaste region up north, so many roads in the area were impassable. We suffered sporadic power outages too (storm related). We did get free replacement trip vouchers, good for a free trip anytime in the next 2 years, so my dive shop has already got us rescheduled for 7/14/18, so maybe better luck for us next time.
Wow! You really had bad luck. I bought trip insurance, hopefully it covers such things.
Thank you for letting me know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom