Okay what spare parts to buy and bring?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check your tools! Some items such as crescents wrenches May be confiscated if in your carryon!

How do people carrying tools like wrenches manage to keep their checked bags under the 50 lb. limit? The tricky part with carrying tools and spares is to balance benefit and likelihood of needing it with the extra weight. Before a recent trip I had the idea to carry a spare first stage and a spare long hose, but it turned out there was no way I was going to make the weight limit.

How do people carrying tools like wrenches manage to keep their checked bags under the 50 lb. limit? The tricky part with carrying tools and spares is to balance benefit and likelihood of needing it with the extra weight. Before a recent trip I had the idea to carry a spare first stage and a spare long hose, but it turned out there was no way I was going to make the weight limit.
Its a challenge, especially when we also bring a pony bottle. Fortunately (or not depending on how you look at it :wink:) we have yet to fly anywhere that weighs carry on. So anything heavy, except tools and pony, goes into the carry on.

Its a challenge, especially when we also bring a pony bottle. Fortunately (or not depending on how you look at it :wink:) we have yet to fly anywhere that weighs carry on. So anything heavy, except tools and pony, goes into the carry on.

My carry-on is already packed full with clothes, and while carry-ons often aren't subjected to a weight limit, the size limit is frequently enforced. My checked bag has all the dive gear (including save-a-dive kit) and liquids, and that usually comes to about 50 lbs. Maybe I need a Freedom Plate. :wink:

My carry-on is already packed full with clothes, and while carry-ons often aren't subjected to a weight limit, the size limit is frequently enforced. My checked bag has all the dive gear (including save-a-dive kit) and liquids, and that usually comes to about 50 lbs. Maybe I need a Freedom Plate. :wink:
So far my stregety is different. The bulky, light weight items go in the checked, like fins, clothing, extra snacks, save-a-dive, etc plus restricted items.

Can’t live without and small weighty items go in carry on. Makes carry on weighty but not typically bulky.

For my LCBR trip next year with a carry on weight restriction, I will have to rethink this approached.

Back
Top Bottom