Okay, so tell me, what's the deal with Bamboo Reef in SF?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Due to my schedule, I did mine with a private class using an instructor from CDC. He was enough good enought to teach me swimming for free. I also know some good ones from that dive center in redwood city...forgot the name. PM me if you want the guys name.

Bamboo Reef has been around for a very long time.

I have spent several months in the company of the Bamboo Reef guys. Not only do they know their stuff when it comes to diving the are extremly nice and friendly. They can teach you just about anything you want to know about diving. Everything from basic diving to technical rebreathers. Most of the people that work there are instructors or dive masters.

The relationship with Bamboo Reef doesn't stop once they have sold you gear and have taught you what you need to know. About once a month they have fun dives in Monterey. Just show up. There is nothing to buy it is just a great way to get to know other divers.

On top of all that. When a TV show like Mythbusters or Tactical to Practical needs a dive shop in the Bay Area they stop by Bamboo Reef.

My suggestion about gear is not to buy from anybody you don't feel comfortable with. Do your research before you go into the shop. Know what you want and ask questions. If you know what you are talking about it is easier to be a dive shop customer.

angelfire13:
=)

I'm in the proccess of looking for an instructor for my OW certification, and every single person from this board who has given me a recommendation has told me to go to Bamboo Reef -- though I've only gotten one specific instructor's name. For any of you who are familiar with them, what makes Bamboo Reef "the best" in the area, in your opinion? Are they just the biggest, or are they really just that good? (I'm a skeptic, if you can't tell!)

I'd also be happy to take any other recommendations on specific instructors, if anyone would like to share. Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not post here.

Thanks much.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience in the resort course. What happened?? (If it's not too touchy of a subject.) To try and help answer your question, I must recommend Tom Yang at CDC. Really an excellent instructor with incredible and lengthly experience so you're guaranteed to feel safe under his instruction and supervision. As for CDC, I haven't really had any bad experiences with them. Same with Bamboo Reef although, like most dive shops, sometimes you get a "high and mighty" attitude from the staff. I know most (if not all) of their staff is very reputable and rightfully so, but it doesn't allow for that sense of comfort that should be overwhelming a student when they are learning to enter a completely foreign environment. Since my OW cert a couple years ago I've done my advanced and rescue with CDC. Their prices are also slightly better than Bamboo Reef but, depending on where you're located, you end up spending the saved money on gas to get from SF to San Bruno. Do you live in SF, or N or S of it??
Best of luck and always remember: As long as you're still breathing, you're OK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom