Ok...so I took some pics.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've got to be kidding me. Feeding Cheez Whiz to a fish? I wouldn't feed it to my worst enemy. While fish pellets and other fish foods may be acceptable to feed wild fish with, processed foods like Cheez Whiz could prove a disaster to them.

Please don't.

Dr. Bill

Dr bill,

Amen, was waiting to see if anyone was going to say anything similar instead of the usual good boy back slap.

Ed

Dee once bubbled...
I take it you and FallenMatt are one and the same? Your sockpuppet is showing! :eek:

Nope, two separate people :) as you can see in the attachment (dr jay on the left in his flashy wetsuit)

it is his camera though and HIS cheese-in-a-can
i was just errr... nearby when he .. err.. took those pictures

It is his camera and his housing but.. the way i see it, his camera = i will be showing on the pictures much more often as he will :)

also he ,showing his greatness, let me use his camera for a while underwater...

he said something about "trusting" me... i don't know what he meant by that :mean:

Thanks dee, Those are some pretty cool photo's you have there. The viz over here in lake amistad is about quarter of what you have in those photos. To get that kinda of viz I need to find a protected cove infested with hydrilla and stay under 15 ft.

Very close dive buddies! If he handed you his camera, you're a REAL buddy!

Oh and BTW...I agree about the Cheez Whiz. That's some nasty stuff that's almost impossible for fish to digest. It can eventually kill them...according to scientific tests done at A&M (I think).

yeah.. the whole cheese thing was fishy from the start :)

i wonder if he will conveniently edit some of the pictures :)

so i did brief search through google to see if there any studies on this made in the past. The only stuff that i've found (after wadding through pages upon pages about studies about fish, cheez wiz and nutrition of both):
1. references to "idtiot divers who feed fish" in the context of ocean and reef diving: it results in a) increasing close to shore fish population and greatly reduces fish diversity (i guess the big and strong ones chase away all the other ones)
b) getting fish more aggresive which may result in future diver injuries
2. cute stories of parents with kids having great times in caribean and feeding fish with their kids...

hmm... (he brought the cheese but we both end up playing with it... (the stuff tastes not so bad when you eat it under water :) )

... so how do i delete a thread from scubaboard ? :rolleyes:

FallenMatt once bubbled...
... so how do i delete a thread from scubaboard ? :rolleyes:

You can edit your post. At the bottom of your post, you'll find an 'EDIT' button. Click that. It will bring you the same message window as when you typed your post. Just above that, you'll see a place to delete the post. Check the box and hit Delete. POOF! it's gone!

I'll have to see if I can find out where I saw that study. The general findings were that the polyunsaturated fats and other fake chemical stuff in Cheez Whiz is almost impossible for fish to completely digest. Over time, little by little it collects in their systems until they are full of it and can't digest regular food around it. They slowly starve to death.

While I woulden't feed Cheez-whiz to my worst enemy, nothing short of catching, cooking, and eating can kill a catfish.

double125's,

I did learn a lot about backscatter and lighting on the dive. Here's a pic that didn't turn out as bad as some others, but I wanted to have for the website:
DebOOA.jpg

This is a good reason why you should get close, even if you can see what you're shooting quite well. My problem was, the flash was going off (as it should, because the lighting wasn't sufficient enough), and since the flash was in a direct line with the lens, viola.....backscatter. This can be helped by putting a strobe at an angle from the lens, so the light doesn't hit the particles at that particular angle. Kind of hard to explain without a diagram....hope I did ok. Let me know if you need more info.

As for the fish...
Please see lesson learned #4
I'm pretty sure these catfish are hauled out of there by the owner quite often. I've been told he's a fan of catfish. I'm sure we'd get the 3rd degree if he found out about the whiz.

Some had to be at least over a couple feet long, and a few inches in diameter. The one on the cheez whiz can was a little smaller than some of the larger ones I saw. They did get quite aggressive. Another reason to abide by lesson #4.

Good point PhotoTJ :D .... although, the bluegills did sip some of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom