Ok, so have you had to call a dive for this . . .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BettyRubble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fortunately it was at the end of the dive anyway so it wasn't a big deal, but curious if anyone has had this happen. If so how did you handle it. Gotta be something other then calling a dive.

Here's the gross stuff. 2nd dive of the day, about 30 minutes into the dive my sinuses went into overdrive. Within 10 minutes my nose was so stuffy I couldn't clear my mask. 38 minutes in, I called the dive because my mask had water and worst, I REALLY needed to blow a snot ball (I know, not ladylike but reality) and I had the horrible sensation that it was going to block my airway. That I couldn't just swallow it (Yes, I know, gross)

So, got to the surface, ripped off the mask and blew a snot ball across the lake. (Fortunatley for my buddy, did so in the opposite direction of where he was!).

My sinuses are horrible. Usually end up with slight bloody discharge after dives. I take sinus meds everyday and pop sudafed before any major diving. Didn't do that today cuz it was a one day, two dive quarry day and normally not an issue.

My primary question is can you clear your sinuses underwater effectively or do you just risk making it worse? Is it better to call it and handle it at the surface? My initial thought was to pull the mask off blow and put mask back on but I was very concerned that if it didn't work I'd be unable to clear the mask. My ears were fine, it was just my nose.

Sorry for the un-ladylike post. Thanks for the feedback!

I have ear and sinus issues all the time. My ears will bother me after almost every dive. Sinus meds never really seemed to help. I discussed this with my Doc, and she gave me Flonaise spray. I use it at the slightest hint of any stuffiinesss, and start using it everyday if I know I have a dive coming up. It really helps me out. Affrin and other OTC stuff doesn't seem to work like the flonaise.

To answer your other question, Personally I have pulled my mask and blew out snot ballast, then put the mask back on. For small blocks, I have done it in the mask (black skirt helps hide it) and then flooded the mask to rinse or waited till my safety stop to pull it and clear.

I have ferocious allergies at times. Claritin, Flonase, Kenalog shots in me bum once in a while.
Summers are bad here in South Florida sometimes.
I routinely pop off my mask while submerged (PLACE IT ON MY FOREHEAD) and blow my nose into my hand, replace and clear mask.
Umm.....it is a good idea to keep your reg in you mouth by the way if you do this.
Snot is just a part of diving as far as I am concerned.
You may wan tto make an appointment and talk with a physician ENT that dives or has knowledge of diving situations.
Hope this helped a little.
Chug

Hahah! I have taken my mask off and blown my nose as hard as I could because it usually goes into my throat and I don't want to choke. I agree with buccaneer on the skirt thing. Mine's black so it helps. I always have to spit A LOT right when I surface but take a huge breath in your reg and blow your nose as hard as you can (without breaking a blood vessel).
:)
And I don't think it's THAT gross.. It probably is very common thing.

Thanks guys! I'll talk with my ENT and get a referral to one with dive knowledge. Hopefully I won't face this again but if I do, I'll give an attempt at the underwater solution (with reg in !). It may be time for me to have the surgery redone. Had it 5 years ago and doc said it would be time for another proceedure in 3-5 years, so guess I'm due. It made a huge difference for me so it's worth the 2 week recovery!

Been there, done that! Have called dives short, because the snot level was up to my eyeballs, and no amount of mask clearing could get the gooey snot out.

I use Sudafed before every dive, whether it be a one tank or two tanker, boat or beach dive. And when I forget, it's misery.

Thanks Joyce! Poor Rich today! I'm not sure what he was thinking when I called the dive and then blew snot balls for the first 2 minutes at the surface - but he was a good sport about it!

My primary question is can you clear your sinuses underwater effectively or do you just risk making it worse? Is it better to call it and handle it at the surface? My initial thought was to pull the mask off blow and put mask back on but I was very concerned that if it didn't work I'd be unable to clear the mask. My ears were fine, it was just my nose.

I find that it's actually easier to get a good sinus rinse underwater. When I have to do it, I just signal a stop to my buddy, take the mask completely off, clear whatever needs clearing (sometimes it takes a while) and put the mask back on.

It's gross, but it's better than a reverse sinus squeeze on the way up.

That said, in doubt calling the dive is the right thing to do. Stuck sinus can really hurt :depressed:

Greetings Betty and you are not alone. Where I dive is cold water all the time and these issues just go with the territory. It is not uncommon to have a build up at the end of most dives. I have found that if you are in a safe situation, training platform or a up line I just take my mask off and do the farmer blow into the water. This is basically one nostril at a time then replace my mask and clear away. I have found it pretty easy and a lot less unfortunate than doing it at the surface. Things "mucous and flem" never seem to go where you want in a open air environment.
I even perform this at the start of the dive if need be. As I have mentioned it becomes quite easy with practice. I can even blow on the go so to speak, just make sure your buddy understands what is going on. He will figure it out if he is not carful!
Be very cautious with medications they can affect your physiology thus your your diving. I have found a good ENT is a good way to control sinuses safely. If possible find a diving ENT mine is a great guy. Till then enjoy your practice blowing your nose under water. What is really gross is when the fish follow you around! Yuck!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

I'd call my buddy to a hover, then raise the mask enough to clear the nose, then preferrably blow the snot down current. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. I had to call a dive because I couldn't equalize any more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom