OK, now I'm worried about this underwater photography thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thanks, sometimes you get lucky taking a quick snapshot.

Never said I was a photographer, just a novice at photography :D

Here are some pics from sharm last summer,

1171673696_76eb76835d_b.jpg
To me, what makes one a "photographer" whether pro or amateur, is the need to express and capture your personal view of the world. To me, that first shot is a stunning composition of your particular vision. That is a scene that is unique to your vision. Maybe I wouldn't have seen it if I were diving with you. Someone said, oh you can look at other people's photos. Well, yeah, but that is just not the same thing as capturing what you see with your own eyes. It's like telling a writer that they can read someone else's books, or a director, you can see someone else's films, or a musician, you can hear someone else play. Well, you get the idea.
Of course, having the technical ability to capture your scene with the right exposure settings is just one of the many things that separates the pros from those just starting out.

Yeah, I make no bones about it, I'm a bad buddy and dive solo a lot. Just clipping off a point and shoot to your BC and taking a couple of snaps will only distract you for a moment. Sometimes I stay with a subject for 30 minutes. I'm very situationally aware... of me. :D

So we have now heard from some others like myself who use P&S cameras to document their experience and for recruiting propaganda purposes. And an important distinction has been identified as indicated above.

There is probably a wide spectrum of UW photography behaviors ranging from lower risk to higher risk.

A higher risk activity might be exemplified by those who spend 30 minutes swimming against a current, completely absorbed in trying to get the perfect macro shot while their buddy may be neglected or absent.

So maybe the take home message is try to stay within your limits, always keep safety in mind, and take personal responsibility for your actions.

thanks, sometimes you get lucky taking a quick snapshot.

Obviously they were more than a quick snapshot. I certainly mean no disrespect to any U/W photographer. I was just pointing out the different requirements, skill levels really as pointed out in the post above, for taking different types of shots. For instance I feel taking wide angle shots has less task loading and is easier than doing macro, in my case at least. That doesn't mean that is easier to get good shots but easier from a skill level point of view.

Some people have the eye for photography and your shots are very good.

So we have now heard from some others like myself who use P&S cameras to document their experience and for recruiting propaganda purposes. And an important distinction has been identified as indicated above.

There is probably a wide spectrum of UW photography behaviors ranging from lower risk to higher risk.

A higher risk activity might be exemplified by those who spend 30 minutes swimming against a current, completely absorbed in trying to get the perfect macro shot while their buddy may be neglected or absent.

So maybe the take home message is try to stay within your limits, always keep safety in mind, and take personal responsibility for your actions.

You make a good point here but I think higher risk should be higher skill level. Hovering a several above a subject for 5 or 10 minutes, changing strobe position and camera settings and at the same time being situationally aware takes practice. For a newer diver it's not too difficult or does not take a lot of dives to be able to take some photos underwater. Just a reasonable skill level.

You make a good point here but I think higher risk should be higher skill level. Hovering a several above a subject for 5 or 10 minutes, changing strobe position and camera settings and at the same time being situationally aware takes practice. For a newer diver it's not too difficult or does not take a lot of dives to be able to take some photos underwater. Just a reasonable skill level.

I guess I worded it that way because the debate seems to be focused on the additional risk that a new diver, as compared to an experienced one, may be at by including a camera in the mix.

I think we are on the same page though. It seems to me that by performing techniques which require greater skill, you may also be in a situation, or create a situation, that increases your risk of an accident to some degree. This is why it is not advisable for newbies to attempt such techniques.

But that doesn't necessarily stop us (newbies) from trying...afterall practice makes perfect. I figure there is no time like the present to start learning the skills that will eventually make me a safer and more effective UW photographer/diver.

I don't mind taking some calculated risks in life (maybe even enjoy it). But it is a personal calculation to be sure. :D

Thanks alcina! I've been steering a lot of folks to the terrific stickies you have put together.

I guess I worded it that way because the debate seems to be focused on the additional risk that a new diver, as compared to an experienced one, may be at by including a camera in the mix.

I think we are on the same page though. It seems to me that by performing techniques which require greater skill, you may also be in a situation, or create a situation, that increases your risk of an accident to some degree. This is why it is not advisable for newbies to attempt such techniques.

But that doesn't necessarily stop us (newbies) from trying...afterall practice makes perfect. I figure there is no time like the present to start learning the skills that will eventually make me a safer and more effective UW photographer/diver.

I don't mind taking some calculated risks in life (maybe even enjoy it). But it is a personal calculation to be sure. :D

I think we are on the same page too, mrwa. Your point is well taken that you can create a situation that increases your risk when. For example, not watching your gauges when you see a must have shot and are following a turtle up and down through the water column.

I dive solo almost exclusively. So I agree with your general point, that divers should be free to assume whatever risk they are comfortable with. Or even slightly uncomfortable with. Hopefully they are making an informed decision, and that is what Scubaboard is good for, information.

I also agree that carrying a camera is not particularly risky for a diver, new or otherwise, but it is risky for the environment they dive in. You cannot go on a dive with other photographers without seeing some reef abuse. I know, nobody here does it, but in the real world photographers are constantly abusing the reef to get their shots; some intentionally, most inadvertently. So I hope new photographers (not you, I know you don't touch the reef) will consider the health of the reef as well as their own safety before bringing the camera down. As for experienced photographers, well, that's another thread.

Hopefully they are making an informed decision, and that is what Scubaboard is good for, information.

I agree. I have found the board to be a great resource for a new diver, and sometimes a tempting distraction from my computer work. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom