OK, now I'm worried about this underwater photography thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One other point is that it depends what kind of shots you want to take. Just firing off a couple snapshots of divers or a passing fish is a lot different than settling down to shoot macro which requires a different skill level when your depth of field may be a couple of centimeters, especially in a current.

One other point is that it depends what kind of shots you want to take. Just firing off a couple snapshots of divers or a passing fish is a lot different than settling down to shoot macro which requires a different skill level when your depth of field may be a couple of centimeters, especially in a current.
Good point! I can only speak from the point of view of someone who takes underwater photography seriously... But, there are those "other kinds" :wink:

Yeah, I make no bones about it, I'm a bad buddy and dive solo a lot. Just clipping off a point and shoot to your BC and taking a couple of snaps will only distract you for a moment. Sometimes I stay with a subject for 30 minutes. I'm very situationally aware... of me. :D

Everyone brings up great points and some great advice.

I am a novice at diving and UW photography, but I have done every dive except for my 2 night dives with my camera. I haven't taken my strobe yet but plan to on my upcoming trip. I always kept my camera on a cord around my neck like a pendant and held it close to my chest while I swam, and since it is almost neutrally bouyant it never really got in the way. I am going to use another SB members trick now that I am using a handle and strobe and will zip tie a d-ring to the handle and clip it to my BC. (sorry can't remember who deserves the credit, but thanks whoever posted this a couple of weeks ago)

I haven't found it to be a big distraction since I am always going over a checklist in my head when diving. First, keep an eye on my gauges every couple of minutes. Second, make sure my buddy or group is close by and they are ok. Third, be aware of what is around me, how close I am to the reef or ground. I try to keep the focus of the dive and group first and when I see something I want to shoot I take a couple of shots and keep going. The beauty of a point and shoot is having an lcd screen so I don't have to have the camera directly up to my face to see what I am shooting.

I never really had a situation where I felt the camera impeaded my ability or the dive. I left it on the boat on the night dives because I knew it would be a bit much to juggle and I have never dove at night before.

I think each person has to make this decision on their own. I wouldn't suggest a DSLR with dual strobes and trying macro your first dive out but a small P&S clipped to your BC and a decent head on your shoulders should get you through a dive without too much trouble.

Thanks cfelliot for the D-ring idea for the camera with the handle.

I have been diving with a point-and-shoot digital since my first OW dive. I attach it to my BC with a retractable clip and leave it attached for the entire dive, even when shooting pics. If I find I need to let go, I let go and it retracts. Usually I just hold on with both hands though. It keeps me streamlined in the same way as crossing my arms.

Due to my military aviation "formation flying" background buoyancy control came quite naturally to me. It was instinctual for me to recognize or anticipate "relative motion" to my surroundings and respond according. Diving feels very much like flying only my entire body is the control surface.

My wife waited until she had about 15 dives logged before she attempted the camera. Her buoyancy control has improved dramatically with the camera in her hands. She's quite good at digital P-a-S macro shots. The Splendid Toadfish below is one of hers from a couple weeks ago in Cozumel.

We just use the camera's built in strobe with a diffuser. We have external strobes for the cameras, but we're both still developing our second nature on our camera controls. Until we get to the point where switching between features for different shots comes almost without thought, we'll leave the external strobe in the box.

Dive within your capabilities and interest and do no damage to anything, don't even touch. No shot is worth a reef creature's life or your own, no matter how much you want the picture.

Attachments

• 2008 Mar 29-Apr 5 Cozumel - Cath 234.jpg
    2008 Mar 29-Apr 5 Cozumel - Cath 234.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 86
You became a photographer when?...

Never said I was a photographer, just a novice at photography :D

Here are some pics from sharm last summer,

1171673696_76eb76835d_b.jpg

1170850335_fbe7b0abbc_b.jpg

1170829249_6ff5c9eefc_b.jpg

1171677352_39471fcaac_b.jpg

1171622972_0975405e61_b.jpg

1171515042_9384020252_b.jpg

I know there are many, many, many incredible photographers on this board, Dennis being one of my favorites.

I will never compare my work to any one else nor will I try and say that I am a photographer by profession or otherwise. I just like to take pics so that I can always go back to that moment whenever I want, and to show my friends what they are missing and maybe get them into diving.

Here is a link to my flickr site,
aic007's photosets on Flickr

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom