Ok.....Im a bit stupid about this stuff...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightRaven77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello yall.....

I am looking into buying my first underwater camera and not to sure what to look for.....Im looking at spending about $400 for a camera that is digital....I like the idea of taking pictures and sending them back home to show some other jealous divers what ive expierenced......

I am too new at this and dont really know what to look for....tricks of the trade....or anything I might need to figure out before buying......Ive seen ads in magazines and not sure which way to go...Ive already read the posts here at the board and still cant get a good feeling as to which is a good buy......

any one have any aspiring words of knowledge to give me??

Im in Coz on May 15-22nd.......I need to take home some memories with a good camera...

thanks people!

NightRaven77

If you're looking for easy picture taking I could reccomend the stylus 400. I saw them on sale last week for $299 and the housing costs about $150. It is a 4 MP camera and takes nice pictures. Even won a photo contest with a picture taken with that camera.

I'd have to say the Canon A series...I love the A70 and you can pick them up for around $229. They have a movie function that actually works fine for what it is...plays back great on the computer. Also allows complete manual control if you want it, but auto mode works wonderfully we have found. Easy to use, great results and inexpensive.

Had two divers here the other day with the IXUS series 4MP and the image quality was not as nice in camera as the A series on the same dive. Could have been operator, I don't know.

The other thing I like about the Canon is that they take CF cards and these things are always on sale!

Buy some good rechargeables for it - I can easily get two 60+ minute dives on one set of 2100s...and that is keeping the screen on.

32.gif

Get one of the prosumer cameras like Canon, Olympus etc. that is at least 4 megapixel. and also has the corresponding housing. Try and select a camera that has several features and a housing that can access EVERY feature of the camera.

Most important is to know every feature of the camera you choose and how to access ALL the features quickly and efficiently via the housing controls BEFORE you go to Coz.

I agree with both Gilligan and Leesa..nothing else to add!

Dee:
I agree with both Gilligan and Leesa..nothing else to add!
Only thing I would add that if the $400 budget is strict you could go for the Olympus Stylus 300 + Housing. The 300 and 400 are basicly identical with the exception of the megapixels. 3.2 is not bad and you can get the camera, housing and memory card in your price range. By the time you add the memory you'll be $500 plus on the 400.

A word of warning though. There are about 10 companies out there on the internet all run by the same guy. They are selling digtial camers at great prices but they are ripoff artists. My dad just bought a 300 and got #$(%&(ed over by two of them. They advertise the camera at a good price and when you order they call and try to sell you acessories at ridiculous prices. If you don't buy any they don't ship the camera. If you find a good deal online PM me and I'll let you know if it is ones of those companies.

James

Back
Top Bottom