Ok I can't wait any longer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIXXERVI6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is the location of all those voodoo incantations, significant finincial investment by myself and loosebits, its just been setup so there is not much to look at, with more modifications and additions to come but for now all we lack is a custom filter cartridge (should be in this week) and we are mixin and pumpin! I've done some tests and filled an AL 13 for giggles and all and it pumps up to high pressure fast and fine, been wanting to wait until we were fully up and pumping before I got on here and gloated a little but couldn't wait any longer, it blows my mind how much this stuff costs for even a simple little setup like this, SS tubing, stacks, valves, gauges, fittings, it adds up crazy fast, crazy fast, if we were pumping just air, I don't think we would ever break even, it would be tough to break even on just nitrox too, but here it is, something I'ved dreamed about for a while, a close fill station!

Have yall heard that saying, don't buy scuba tanks from anyone that owns their own compressor? hehe :devil_2:

It started out as gas, that didn't last long, I had to wear ear plugs and my ears would still ring after 30 minutes, switched it over to electric, much much better, no pullin on that engine, just flip the switch, quiet, no Co, all is well.

Just a word of advice, if anyone else is looking to setup their own compressor, hope you have deep pockets and an understanding wife! (or have a way to sneak funds by :) )

Congrats on the set up. Pics look good

On a side note if you want to sell off any of those extra doubles you have sitting around just let me know.

Extra? where do you see extra? I need more!

but seriously, I have been toying with the idea of selling a set of 95's, but take my word for it, you wouldn't want them, but if you DO want 95's I know someone selling 4 of them as singles I can put you in touch with.

Well from talking to Rand I do not think the 95s are a way to go for me. I am over 6' and Rand says they might make me a little top heavy. I am not sure what I want to do as doubles. I am thinking of a set of Lp 104s but I am not sure if this is going to fit my body type.

We don't have a manifold set up for the O2 and He banks so we're using a Salvo transfill whip for now with a needle valve thrown in for a little more control. That will be the next area of improvement if I ever have $1500 sitting in my pocket (either that or another tall stack).

Luke, 104's, 108's or HP 130's should be fine for your height. If you are worried about the weight and you don't need so much volume, a set of 85's would be nice.

Btw, 130's are the smallest.. they come in just under 100 cuft at 2640, 104's are actually 106's and are just fractionally smaller than 108's but a few pounds heavier. With a drysuit and 108's, you might want a few extra pounds of lead just in case you find yourself dropping under 500 psi. I wish they still made 104's but those Worthington hot dipped 108's will be my next set of tanks.

Looking good, you are getting there.

Seriously though, if you are planning on filling for a few divers then you need to look at insurance. The insurance is not for the divers you are filling for, it's the families that will come looking for you and their lawyers.

P.S.

I particuarly like the "cooling fan" system on the compressor you have there.

Debraw:
Looking good, you are getting there.

Seriously though, if you are planning on filling for a few divers then you need to look at insurance. The insurance is not for the divers you are filling for, it's the families that will come looking for you and their lawyers.

P.S.

I particuarly like the "cooling fan" system on the compressor you have there.

Its a private fill station, not worried about insurance, I'm not going to put a sign in my yard saying "scuba fills" :)

I used the fans as I left my garage door open and it heated up the concrete in there enough that I thought the fans would assist with teh cooling between seperators, in the future I'll just keep the garage closed up!

I am a worry wart when it comes to liability. Looks good though on the setup. It's a friggin money pit. I am knee dip in that pit right now. Have fun!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom