ok I am really frustrated!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have found gilligan's tuts on setting white balance at depth has been the savor for my shooting. If I set the white balance off a slate at depth I get my color back (reds, oranges, etc), if not it's heavily in the green/blue range.

Of course like stated, if you are shooting in RAW it is moot, but my camera doesn't have RAW capabilities (C-5000), so I just manually adjust WB underwater.

Matt

OK that sounded like it might be the fix I was looking for. I down loaded it and when I click on the download, it merely opens PS. I go to actions and the menu item is not present. I might add though that I have PS 6 not 7 so that might be a glitch. but I think your onto something here. I have arrainged for a friend who took a college class on FS, to come over today and see if he can't help.

diverrick:
OK that sounded like it might be the fix I was looking for. I down loaded it and when I click on the download, it merely opens PS. I go to actions and the menu item is not present. I might add though that I have PS 6 not 7 so that might be a glitch. but I think your onto something here. I have arrainged for a friend who took a college class on FS, to come over today and see if he can't help.

I'm using Adobe PS 6.0 also. Go to Window, Show Actions, on the actions
window scroll down to Underwater, select Colorcorrect_red and click on the
forward arrow "Play selection." I've had good luck color correcting digital photo's
as long as they were taken with good lighting. You can always go it the long way
and follow the manual instructions.
I forgot, you have to download the plug-in and add it to the,
Presets "Photoshop Actions" folder through windows explorer.

I downloaded the additional item for PS6 but when I click on It I expected to get some sort of menu to install the download, instead all it does is to automatically open PS6 and when I go to the Actions menu, there is nothing about under water mentioned.

It is not an executable, it is an Adobe plug-in.
When you download underwater.atn, you take the file and copy or drop it in the,
"Program Files / Adobe / Photo Shop 6.0 / Presets / Photo Shop Actions"
folder. It should then be available in the actions menu.
Hope this helps.

diverrick:
I downloaded the additional item for PS6 but when I click on It I expected to get some sort of menu to install the download, instead all it does is to automatically open PS6 and when I go to the Actions menu, there is nothing about under water mentioned.
I looked at a couple of your images. The reef closeups with the small fish actually appear to be possibly overexposed. I'd suggest getting closer to your subjects also.

The filter that was backordered is probably a red filter, it might help with your blue problem w/o the flash.

Here's what you'll get when you install the action and run it:
(I reduced the image/filesize so I didn't have to put it into a gallery)

DiveRick,

Don't give up! As others have said you have some good shots after some modifications!

See this very simple example and guide for Paint Shop Pro. Not everyone has Photoshop. Although actually I use both and see what each can do.

http://www.zerovisibility.co.uk/Digital.htm

Hi Diverrick.

I can't comment on the recovery of your previous shots beyond what others have said but I can on the blueness issue. This is without question a problem of not getting strobe light on the subject. The only causes of this that I know of are one, being too far from the subject (by far the most common cause), two, the strobe not firing, or three, the strobe not being aimed correctly.

If you're using the built-in flash on the camera then the aiming problem is pretty much eliminated, and if you're within a few feet of the subject as you indicate, then that eliminates the distance thing. The last is the strobe simply not firing. If you leave the camera in it's default setting it'll decide if the flash is needed. In shallow water on sunny days, this usually means the flash doesn't fire. Most cameras have a "forced flash" or "fill flash" mode which will make the camera's flash fire every time.

As for the lag time, I solved that by upgrading to a DSLR system :wink:

Mark Goodchild:
DiveRick,

Don't give up! As others have said you have some good shots after some modifications!

See this very simple example and guide for Paint Shop Pro. Not everyone has Photoshop. Although actually I use both and see what each can do.

http://www.zerovisibility.co.uk/Digital.htm

Good link Mark.
The atn plug-in is not a miracle worker. I've had some poor results on some
of my trash photos using the plug-in. A good photo editor that allows for auto
and manual level controls is a plus. It just boils down to experimentation with the
editing software. Here is an example of a 727 cockpit that was way too green!
Adjusted first with the atn plug-in, then adjusted with manual controls in Adobe
Photoshop. Someone more experienced out there could probably do a much better
job, but it is a photo that was salvaged and not deleted.

Back
Top Bottom