OK, 'fess up.... the Dark Side of Solo...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

it's terribly good for you real aerobic exercise you you need chocolate in vast quantities afterwards to counteract it:)

say hi to the dragon for me:)

We're off to see the Dragon and drift the calf sound tomorrow morning so will do Sylph. Hoping for our first basking sharks of the year too, it's bloomin planktony enough!

I just like the peace and quiet to photograph what I want without somebody kicking up a sandstorm around me and stay in one place photographing one subject as long as I have gas to manage this safely.

I like that fact that all the animal are not scared of me... so taking pictures is really easy...put a bunch of hyper divers in the water, and everything hides.

Reactions: Jax
I just reread the last 20 pages of this old thread... More than a few snorts and giggles...

Spring has sprung here. the boat's out of storage so I'm about ready to hit the water... solo or otherwise. I still have a little Belizian salt in my gear from a couple of weeks ago.

Let's cut the crap and post the truth about why we like diving alone.

Freedom. The freedom to do whatever the hell I want to do. The freedom to change my dive plan on the fly. The freedom to go wherever I want to go.

Where I usually dive, going solo enables me to dive when you can't go diving with a buddy. When visibility is 6 inches and it's dark as night at 40 feet, diving with a buddy is more difficult than it's worth.

Just filled tanks may have to dive them before my buddy recovers from surgery guess it will be solo.

I just reread the last 20 pages of this old thread... ...//...
Thanks for pulling this one out of the dustbin!

So, looking back on my old post, not much has really changed. There are times when I want to be alone and not worry if I'm going too slowly, staying too shallow, going too deep, not being attentive enough, on and on. It is all about my head being filled with thoughts and concerns for my buddy's feelings. Good or otherwise, it takes a lot away from my dive.

God, there are times that I so love just splashing in the middle of the night with absolutely nobody around.
If I want to, I can call a dive when it's cold/murky/boring or I feel uneasy/cold/terrified and not have to justify my actions to anyone. In fact, I can lie through my teeth and tell anybody who asks that I just had the most amazing dive EVER!
:)

I solo because..... If I want to spend 20 minutes looking for gobies and blennies I can.
If I want to spend 20 minutes laying on the bottom just seeing everything I can
If I want to spent my entire take to get that one picture.... I can
My girlfriends my buddy, she's great but there are times I need to just be alone with the fish because i can.
Solo is my happy place.

I solo because..... If I want to spend 20 minutes looking for gobies and blennies I can.
If I want to spend 20 minutes laying on the bottom just seeing everything I can
If I want to spent my entire take to get that one picture.... I can
My girlfriends my buddy, she's great but there are times I need to just be alone with the fish because i can.
Solo is my happy place.

Back
Top Bottom