Ok Dan Volker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bob Evans

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Dan, A pair of Excellators xxl has your name on them, just return my personal Hockey fins and they are yours. We have a new Poly-Urethane material for the Tan Delta line and it is unreal..What are your fins made out of ? - YouTube So Dan are you ready to test dive the best model I make for the Tek Diver's. I made the Excellator Force Fin for Captain Billy Deans, Key West Divers and he gave this fin his blessing. Best, Bob

I'd like see the evaluation, please keep us posted. They're expensive, I'd like to see a review from someone that is a known factor.

Dan, A pair of Excellators xxl has your name on them, just return my personal Hockey fins and they are yours. We have a new Poly-Urethane material for the Tan Delta line and it is unreal..What are your fins made out of ? - YouTube So Dan are you ready to test dive the best model I make for the Tek Diver's. I made the Excellator Force Fin for Captain Billy Deans, Key West Divers and he gave this fin his blessing. Best, Bob

Ok...I am looking forward to doing an evaluation at the Blue Heron Bridge Marine Park in the next 2 weeks.....this is a very easily silted environment, actually a great place for cave divers to train, as it is so easy to see if your fin strokes are causing a silt trail.....also, when we get in 2 hours prior to high tide, there is a VERY SIGNIFICANT current, and another good test of a pair of fins.
Bob's Hockey fins did extremely well at both of these....My feeling for the Hockey fin was for 98% of divers looking for optimal control and power and speed, the Hockey fins were awesome....the 2% not included, would be GUE divers doing Fundamentals classes...the issue there is not with propulsion, it is with remaining motionless in a swimming pool over a point on the bottom, for hours...The Big scubapro jet fins are the choice for that, because the much larger control surface, allows tiny motions to translate into a stable non-moving ( front or back) hover. As to the reverse kick potential of the Hockey fin, it seemed much better or easier to reverse kick with than any other fin I have ever tried.
For someone having a problem with reverse kick, this fin could be the ticket !

Since GUE Fundamental class divers are about .0001 percent of the market for Dive fins, I don't think missing them will hurt Bob in any way :)
As to the real world uses of most divers, I would whole-heartedly endorse the Hockey fins over pretty much all the fins on the market except my big DiveR Freedive fins...and most divers looking at Force Fins or Gorillas, or splits or the mass marketed fins, will not even consider the Dive R's. The DiveR's are optimal for a competitive Cyclist that spaghetti's normal fins....Amazingly, the Hockey fins are amazing for a competitive cyclist also!!!

Dan

Since I am not GUE trained (nor will I ever be), I can agree with everything you said. The Hockey Fins are all that 99.999% of all divers could want. The greatest advantage over Jets is the "no cramps" that is the result of the foot pocket design. The greatest problem is that most people think that just because they don't feel as much resistance, they don't Yhank they are moving and because of that, they don't use them long enough to really find out how ggd they are.

Thanks from a whole bunch of us Force Gin users for helping get the word out.

I love my hockeys, but they are a little stiff for 2hrs of finning underwater and I'd also like a pair of the normal tandelta for longer dives.

Everybody laughs at how my hockeys look, and then they complain about their cardio workout keeping up with me.. go figure, yet they keep swimming in their old plank fins. You have a higher cadence with the FF's but its a natural movement not the froggy and hip scissor thingy they teach as correct

I've posted it before, but check out the video of me pushing my rebreather in the hockeys... I'm the guy in front: Innerspace day 3 on Vimeo

Like I say, for normal 1hr dives the hockey will do all you want, and do it fast (thats what it was designed for). On longer 2hr dives where you want a more flexible fin the excellerator may be a better option. Another megalodon buddy mine refuses to use my hockey's because he would rather fin for 3 hours in the original than anything else. It also depends on leg strength, swimming style, and personal preference. If you push the hockeys they push back better than any fin.. ANY FIN.

I love my hockeys, but they are a little stiff for 2hrs of finning underwater and I'd also like a pair of the normal tandelta for longer dives.

Everybody laughs at how my hockeys look, and then they complain about their cardio workout keeping up with me.. go figure, yet they keep swimming in their old plank fins. You have a higher cadence with the FF's but its a natural movement not the froggy and hip scissor thingy they teach as correct

I've posted it before, but check out the video of me pushing my rebreather in the hockeys... I'm the guy in front: Innerspace day 3 on Vimeo

Like I say, for normal 1hr dives the hockey will do all you want, and do it fast (thats what it was designed for). On longer 2hr dives where you want a more flexible fin the excellerator may be a better option. Another megalodon buddy mine refuses to use my hockey's because he would rather fin for 3 hours in the original than anything else. It also depends on leg strength, swimming style, and personal preference. If you push the hockeys they push back better than any fin.. ANY FIN.
OK, the Excellerators showed up at my house, so I will get to see how they work for me on the next few days.
For me, the Hockeys were a high cadence fin that actually could go very fast at high cadence, as opposed to most fins that would be going no where at high cadence( most fins are blown out by the time you reach high cadence with them--they are failing structurally to transfer water over their shape with the efficient power transfer they had at low cadence).

I am a cyclist that used to do a lot of power lifting, with squats over 500 pounds..0r rep out with 225 with like 30 reps to paralell---this was how I converted power lifting strenth to cycling) . Now 12 years after I pretty much stopped bike racing, I still ride 30 miles per day, 3 to 4 days per week, and on one day per week do a race simulation day where speeds for me alone should be 24 to 26 mph for at least an hour.
This has an effect on diving, as most fins are not made for "me". Jetfins are not stiff for me at all...I don't see them as particularly fast/efficient at the flutter kick, mostly because they dont give me any "gear changes" like I get with the big Dive R carbon fiber Freediving blades--which actually have at least 3 gear achievable by changing the shape of your kick stroke, with the amplitude and frequency.
The difference with the Hockey fins was that you dont need to change kick shape, the faster you kick, there is an increasing level of efficiency, and it just keeps getting faster...pretty amazing really. In contrast, the jet fins never really give you the feeling of great efficiency, and while not bad at slow kicking, at high kicking they seem to gain nothing in efficiency, like the Hockey fins do. However, the frog kick is another matter..it seems like this is what Jetfins are made for, and the Jets have exceptional efficiency when used for the frog kick, and faster, harder pushes, continue to have great efficiency... the Hockeys would frog kick great also, but since frog kick really needs a glide phase, the jets get some advantage over the hockeys at the top limit of frog kicking speed, as they can push a little more water with each kick, and frog kick is not a high turnover style kick...yet the hockey fins do frog kick, and reverse kick extremely well. Reverse kick is actually better with the hockeys by a large margin, than it is with jets....at least it is easier to go backwards fast, and far, with the hockeys.
The limitation for GUE Fundamentals use I mentioned earlier, is that with the relatively small control surface, if you have a need to be motionless, and to hover for long periods, the Hockeys don't have enough control surface for tiny movements of your foot to have much effect...this only effects me in a swimming pool doing a hover drill, or, if I was trying to hover motionless while shooting video of some marine life( as opposed to anchoring on the bottom, or moving very slowly)...In fairness, I usually swim the whole time I film, and rarely hover.....and if I want the shot to be rock steady like a hollywood shot, I am more likely to look for a no-life bottom I can get heavy on top of, and be anchored and dead still. If it is good enough for David Doubilet, it is good enough for me :) For me, this would be happening on one dive in maybe 30 dives. See my demo6 minute Tour version of "Why Divers prefer Palm Beach" video - YouTube , and you can see how my decision to NOT hover for most shots effects my videos... I can do a perfect hover, but normally this will only be a need durring an exploration level penetration dive...this is the place where I use that skill.

The excellerators will hopefully not be too much less stiff than the Hockeys....my expectation would be that they would share the increasing efficiency with increased cadence, and would be great at leveraging my cycling cadence for when I want to go fast with them...as in following Goliath Groupers, dolphins, baitfish, etc.

One of the coolest things about the way Bob makes fins, is that he has a model for each person's type of diving/fitness level and need. I look forward to using the new fins in the next few days...

You summed it up pretty well. The hockey is the only fin I've had that if I throttle the hell out of it I just go faster and get tired.. other fins just get floppy.

You can also get Bob to make the excellerators out of the hockey material. Did you get black with black or clear winglets for the excellerators.

You'd have to talk to Bob but I'm thinking the tandelta material may also be more tough than the hockey material as I've got some cuts from coral etc on my hockey that I don't see on 10yr old excellerators. I'm thinking the excellerator is the best middle ground between brute force and a good cadence duration fin.

I tried the Excellerators today, at the BHB.
I was impressed. I could crank up to 100% power and the fins just keep going faster, no loss in efficiency--if anything, there is a significant GAIN in efficiency at full power ( my full power at very high cadence)!

Going slow, they were precise...... and they are excellent for Frog kick. They actually seem to have more lateral control surface than the Hockey fins do, and this helps establish better exploration level control at low speeds. They reverse kick well, but they are different at this than the Hockeys or Jets..just took a couple of minutes to correct for the differences. They reverse kick with great speed backwards.

Bob, this is quite a fin....I may like these better than the Jet fins.....I will need more A to B comparisons to be sure....but what I can say for certain is that they are RADICALLY BETTER than any Split fin on the market, Far better than Quattro type fins, and the normal scuba fare....I will be using these alot more soon....We may have a Cat 1 or 2 Hurricane Sunday.....So I may go to the bridge for a Hurricane dive, and if so, I will get more familiar with them :)
Otherwise, it will probably be near Friday before the effects of the storm make the ocean good to dive in again...

---------- Post Merged at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:21 PM ----------

Another aspect of the Excellerators....they can be kicked from the ankle/calf rather than the hip and quads if desired....to use little Blood O2 and ultra low SAC rate, this is cool.....and in narrow passageways with silty bottom where you want to use the modified flutter kick, they are outstanding for this.
The calf/ankle kicking is cool for me as a cyclist, as I pedal with a technique that uses the entire range of ankle flexion, and my calf muscles are fine with kicking a fin like this as long as it is desirable....it is not a technique I would use with other fins....sometimes the big dive R freedive fins, yes, but no other fins.

Dan, I knew the Excellerator Force Fin was for you. Keep us posted. Thanks.

my 2 favorite fins, Excellerators and Hockeys, just throw a set of Flying Force in there and you have the perfect set of fins for anything

Back
Top Bottom