OK, best moving image Scifi/fantasy - no repeats any number you want.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’d say that the Sixties started on 25 July 1965, when Dylan went electric at the Newport Folk Festival. I'm not sure when it ended, I say one of these three:
  1. Richard Nixon's resignation on 8 August 1974,
  2. the fall of Saigon on 30 April 1975, or
  3. the release of Van McCoy's "The Hustle" on 26 June 1975.

Thalassamania:
I’d say that the Sixties started on 25 July 1965, when Dylan went electric at the Newport Folk Festival. I'm not sure when it ended, I say one of these three:
  1. Richard Nixon's resignation on 8 August 1974,
  2. the fall of Saigon on 30 April 1975, or
  3. the release of Van McCoy's "The Hustle" on 26 June 1975.
Agree on the ending, Disco definitely ended the 'sixties', but the Beatles sure were the sixties too, and that was 1962. Way before Dylan decided to go electric. But the Peter Max, flower children 60's didn't really start until '65 and really hit big in '67.

200px-Pepper%27s.jpg

I miss the sixties.. Heck, I missed them then too :)
:hippy:

CUunderH2O:
Here's a cheesy sci-fi film from 1976: Logan’s Run.

That was, like so many, a good story that didn't do so well as a movie. Might be done much better now & I've heard that there may be a remake using current technologies to try & make it a good movie.

Wayward Son:
That was, like so many, a good story that didn't do so well as a movie. Might be done much better now & I've heard that there may be a remake using current technologies to try & make it a good movie.

I liked the story, but yeah, it would be great to see a GOOD remake. IMDB lists the remake as having been shelved by WB.

Thalassamania:
Millennium?

No, SGS Control Services. Last I knew, he was working for Trifinery (now Trigeant) back about 1988.

There are things I'd like to see made into a movie, except that I'm afraid it'd be impossible to do it well. Rendezvous With Rama, for example. Not bc of the effects, I think current technology could handle that credibly. But bc I don't know how you could properly tell the story in a 2 hr movie.

Dune comes to mind. Great story. Putting it on the big screen didn't work so well. Effects can be handled but how do you deliver a complex story in a time frame that doesn't numb your azz into oblivion & bore you?

Agree on Logan's Run. Loved the way they hyped Farrah Fawcett as one of the *stars* in the Farrahmania of the period; what did she have, maybe 2, or 3 max minutes in the footage?

Judge Dredd - not bad, but toned too much for mass market appeal from the comics.

Strange Brew - good flick (Fleshy headed mutant! The Statue of Liberty! Mind control hockey!) Hosehead should have been adopted at Charles Xavier's school - then could face off with Lockjaw if The Inhumans ever came calling.

Crummy - "Metalstorm - the Destruction of Jared-Syn (in 3D!)"

Also crummy but notable - "Spacehunter - Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (in 3D!)" Notable as first flick I remember seeing Molly Ringwald in, as well as screen time for Michael Ironside after "V" (the series) and "Scanners".

"Night of the Comet" - best upbeat post-apocalyptic movie I've seen!

"Chopping Mall" - one of the worst, had a common cast member with "Night of the Comet"

Wish lists for genre movies are a whole 'nother list. One of the top ones of mine on such a list is "The Watchmen" - with today's SFX prior obstacles for portraying charachters like Dr. Manhattan are gone. Sadly, so is the cold-war-era-folks mass market audience (we're now a niche market audience), I doubt it could be a profitable movie to make today.

Another cheezy one that could use a good remake - "Doc Savage" (originally with Ron Ely)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom