Ok, before i spend 1K, let me ask some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Life-Is-Good-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok, i don;t know the first thing about under water photography , but after looking at all these beautiful pics, and web sites, i think im hooked!!

First question : Most of my diving is here in the florida keys, wrecks, some reefs, but mostley in Florida waters.
That said, i see a ton of Olympus cameras, 5050, and 5060 being used, any reason why? I started out wanting the whole set up for $500, but after seeing the pics of the 5 MEG cameras, i think im going to spend the extra dollars.

Next Q : Is it a waste to have such a nice camera without a strobe, now im adding another $500 to the price, and didnt even get an under water housing yet.

Next Q : Is this to much camera and money for a newbie , who dosnt even know what macro, noise interfernce, white balance and so on mean? Im looking to shoot nice pics, but whats the sense of owning a $1000 camera if i dont know how to utilize it's feature's ? Are they just point and shoot?

Next Q : I want to shoot under water video, alittle, maybe 15 min outta the dive trip worth, is that to much for a Dig camera?
If i went to a Video set up, will it take nice pics in still mode?

I know its alot of questions, but im going to bonaire in july, and on a cruize in sept, and want to do some under water shooting, cant wait, please help, !! Thanks :wink:

One last thing, anything about the nikon 7000 or the sony 717 cameras? Also is worth investing in a Ikelite housing that seems to have access to all the controls for $600, or is the cheaper $200 housing's just fine for depths no greather then 133' ?

Hi -
1. The Oly cameras are really very good for UW use.
2. The 5050 & 5060 can both be used with only the internal flash - you just need to get a bit closer to the subject. That said - you can get better results from a little father away using a strobe. As the strobe can be mounted farther away from the camera lens it doesn't reflect so much light back from particles hanging in the water (backscatter). Strobes also cover a wider flash area - especially important if you use a wide angle lens as well. The Inon D-180 strobe is often the strobe of choice for the Oly cameras (although there are others too). Olympus makes their own housings for most of their cameras - certainly these two. They are fairly inexpensive compared to other housings - so probably not one of the biggest considerations.
3. Depends a bit on your pocket book. The Olys have several shooting modes - in full program mode they are point and shoot. There are a couple of half manual modes (aperture controlled/speed controlled) and a full manual. There is also a really useful 'My Mode' setting that can be preprogrammed to whatever aperture/speed/focus etc you want - you can set 8 'My Mode settings - an then switch between them by using a jog dial (it's quite easy)
4. The Olys can also shoot video - although obviously not as well as a DV camera. DV's can take stills - but not as well as a 5mp digi!

Sorry - I don't know anything about the Nikons/Sonys.

Unless you have a lot of extra cash laying around, skip the strobes to start. I have recently switched to an Oly 5050 from my beloved Canon A70 (which I still use and highly recommend) and have not used strobes so far. I might add one later but the internal strobe seems to be working just fine.

Here are a couple of examples...

Alcina...I love your eel!

Next Q : Is it a waste to have such a nice camera without a strobe, now im adding another $500 to the price, and didnt even get an under water housing yet.
Not at all. The internal flash is quite powerful and suited to light anything within about 2 ft. It's recommended that you start by shooting without a strobe until you learn the camera and it's controls....if you wish to use them.

Next Q : Is this to much camera and money for a newbie , who dosnt even know what macro, noise interfernce, white balance and so on mean? Im looking to shoot nice pics, but whats the sense of owning a $1000 camera if i dont know how to utilize it's feature's ? Are they just point and shoot?
You may start out using it as a simple point and shoot but as you get more comfortable with it, you'll move on the the different modes of controlling the exposure. Beast is a good example. He's been using my old Oly C-4040 in full auto Program mode, just point and shoot, in fact this was his first trip with it. I consider him a beginner. He never wanted to learn the 'confusion' of all the setting and dials. After this recent trip, after sharing my C-5050 and wide angle lens for a few dives, he decided he's ready for more control. We ordered him a C-5050 of his own a few days after we got home. I'll attach some of his photos below that were all shot in auto with only the internal flash, some without the flash.

Next Q : I want to shoot under water video, alittle, maybe 15 min outta the dive trip worth, is that to much for a Dig camera?
If i went to a Video set up, will it take nice pics in still mode?
I've shot quite a bit of video with my C-5050. Of course it isn't as good as the dedicated video cameras but for a few minute clips, it is great. The pics I've seen from video camera are OK but not all that sharp. You need to decide if you want pics or video first....the other is a trade off.

I know its alot of questions, but im going to bonaire in july, and on a cruize in sept, and want to do some under water shooting, cant wait, please help, !! Thanks
You see references to the Oly C-5050 so much because more folks use them than the others. But you might also want to look into the Canon 4 and 5 MP cameras. I know very little about them so someone else will have to fill you in on the details. Whatever you choose, get it in time to shoot it alot to learn the basic controls before you go on a trip. You'll be glad you did!

One last thing, anything about the nikon 7000 or the sony 717 cameras? Also is worth investing in a Ikelite housing that seems to have access to all the controls for $600, or is the cheaper $200 housing's just fine for depths no greather then 133' ?

Dee:
Alcina...I love your eel!

Not at all. The internal flash is quite powerful and suited to light anything within about 2 ft. It's recommended that you start by shooting without a strobe until you learn the camera and it's controls....if you wish to use them.

You may start out using it as a simple point and shoot but as you get more comfortable with it, you'll move on the the different modes of controlling the exposure. Beast is a good example. He's been using my old Oly C-4040 in full auto Program mode, just point and shoot, in fact this was his first trip with it. I consider him a beginner. He never wanted to learn the 'confusion' of all the setting and dials. After this recent trip, after sharing my C-5050 and wide angle lens for a few dives, he decided he's ready for more control. We ordered him a C-5050 of his own a few days after we got home. I'll attach some of his photos below that were all shot in auto with only the internal flash, some without the flash.

I've shot quite a bit of video with my C-5050. Of course it isn't as good as the dedicated video cameras but for a few minute clips, it is great. The pics I've seen from video camera are OK but not all that sharp. You need to decide if you want pics or video first....the other is a trade off.

You see references to the Oly C-5050 so much because more folks use them than the others. But you might also want to look into the Canon 4 and 5 MP cameras. I know very little about them so someone else will have to fill you in on the details. Whatever you choose, get it in time to shoot it alot to learn the basic controls before you go on a trip. You'll be glad you did!

Thanks Dee, and everyone for replying, It sounds to me after reading alot about cameras all over the web, they are begginer user friendley, and sounds like i could advance with the camera as my photography advances, My friend also just bought the 5060 as well, seems the oly's are a good choice,as well there are some others like canon and so on im looking into.
He mentioned that the 5060 has a darker lense then the 5050, so the 5050 might be better choice, but the 5050 has batteries, vs lithuim battery like on the 5060, just wondering how everyone using the 5050 is holding up to shooting photo all day, like we would be doing when going to boniare in july , thanks again

anyone know where i can get a UW housing for the Oly 8080 camera? Im looking at all the cameras for UW use, and this camera looks like a beast, any info or anyone take any UW pics with this set up before?

My batteries - 2100 rechargeables - last well more than two 60+ minute dives including leaving the screen on, flash on, reviewing, deleting and downloading. Never used them completely so don't know their lifespan!

I had to laugh about the $1,000. Be afraid, be very afraid! $1,000 is but a drop in the bucket. Underwater photography is like owning a boat, a hole in the water to throw money into. Been there, done that!

Yes...the C-5050 has a brighter f/1.8 lens and the C-5060 has a f/2.8.

I'm getting about 3 hrs. out of a freshly charges set of 2200NiMH batteries. I have a lithium battery in my Nikon 880 and I much prefer the NiMH AA's. If nothing else, AA's can be bought anywhere in case something goes wrong with a charger or something.

I don't think the PT-23(?) housing has been released for the C-8080 yet. I think I read it would be at least June.

Dee:
Yes...the C-5050 has a brighter f/1.8 lens and the C-5060 has a f/2.8.

I'm getting about 3 hrs. out of a freshly charges set of 2200NiMH batteries. I have a lithium battery in my Nikon 880 and I much prefer the NiMH AA's. If nothing else, AA's can be bought anywhere in case something goes wrong with a charger or something.

I don't think the PT-23(?) housing has been released for the C-8080 yet. I think I read it would be at least June.

Thanks Dee, I took the plundge tonight and bought the Olympus C-5060 with the PT-020 UW housing, should have it all withen the week, well see how it goes, i thought between now and july i would pratice and get used to the camera beofre our trip to boniare, lets keep our fingers crossed :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom