Ohio wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guardian

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Will a 7mm wetsuit work for Ohio during the summer, or is a dry suit better?

I dove a 7mm w/ hood an gloves all last year from May - October ... at the end of the season I bought a Bare Arctic Combo (7mm full with 7mm over-shorty w/ intrinsic hood) an will have a lil' extra warmth for the very beginning and end of the season... otherwise the 7 'll work jus' fine...

Sure I'd Rather have a drysuit , but the price diff. between a good wetsuit and a good drysuit is crazy-huge, and I don' have that kinda scratch...

:)

Will a 7mm wetsuit work for Ohio during the summer, or is a dry suit better?

That would be approaching ice diving conditions (depending on where in the state you are....

There are a couple of wetsuits... like the heave pinnicle (8 mm) or Oneal J suit (there are others) that will work just fine, as long as you don't go very deep (less than 60 ft).

I've been in 39 degree water with a J suit and been warm, but it was shallow.

a dry suit would be tremendously better...

I live in the NW corner of the state... so I think the temps in my quarries are as cold as quarries get in Ohio...

At the beginning of the season last year (late May) the temp @ 40' was about 50 degrees... Cold, but certainly nothing Like ice diving...

During the summer... at Whitestar at 80' the temp is approx. 56 degrees... again, nothing like ice diving, and below 60' even...

At the tail end of the season in Oct./Nov. its coolin' down again but Still not under 50 degrees...

I'm of the opinion that if its over 45-50 degrees you can get by comfortably in a wetsuit... (especially if your Layering up)...

I dove the Vast majority of the season last year in a Cheap 7mm hood an gloves (XS scuba Mendacino) and except for the very beginning and end of the season, was just fine... (and I've since bought a better suit/more protection since then so I expect I'll be downright Toasty this year)

Drysuit is serious cash... even if your getting a Used suit "cheap" (600-800) your still rollin' the dice on someone else's problem (potentially) when you can pick up a cheap 7mm wetsuit for $150 ... ( my Bare Arctic Combo was under $300)....

While some of our other more admirable posters have said they are toasty diving wet in in dive temps in the 50's, they are mainly people that haven't gone dry.

If you are doing multiple dives during a a day or plan to go deeper than 40', I would seriously make every effort to find a drysuit. If you can beg, barrow or steal something in the neighborhood of $500-600 (or even less in some cases) you can find a great suit. The only issue may be is you have some really unusual proportions.

I picked up my first two suits on ebay diving chat boards with great results. My first suit was an OS system shell suit (not seen much around here by pretty popular on west coast). I picked it up for $325 including the liner, hood etc. It had newer seals and was good to go. It was pretty baggy but still quite functional. My second suit was a major coup, I got a brand new Diving Concepts compressed neoprene suit for $600. It was from a dealer on the west coast trying to sell old stock. This suit has been sold once since I got rid of it, and I know the current owner - he is stoked with the suit (I think he paid $450ish and I think it even had a P-valve installed).

The best thing about going this way was I was able to sell the suits for 80 -90% of what I paid. Right now with the economy the way it is there are some kick ass deals to be had. Of course when you can afford new go to your LDS.

But for now, post a WTB in the classifies here on SB and Decostop and you will be dry in not time.

Go dry...if you go wet, you will probably end up going dry someday....and the days leading to it, you will look at the drysuit divers at the quarry with envy while you are cold, damp, wet, and wishing you had one. I'm just trying to be honest not upsell you....

with that said, we have a Typhoon drysuit on sale till the end of the month for $599, and other suits too low to advertise the price due to restrictions. At the same time, I have some of the same wetsuits mentioned above on sale too. So if you feel a wetsuit, or semi-dry is better, you can save some money on those too. If you want to talk more, call me or PM me a number to call you. We open at 11, and I can run thru some more differences, and hear your needs to help figure out whats best for you...can't beat a Q and A with a live person :wink:

I dive Dry. I have dove wet, and I can say, I will probably dive dry in the summer.

I did my OW in a 7mm 2pc in September. I was comfortable, but it was still very warm topside. I think the benefit of a drysuit is when the water is comfortable, but the topside is cold and icky (typical in the Spring and Fall). When you get out of the water in a drysuit, other than your hair and hands, you body (core) is dry. The outside temps are not as shocking to your system. You may be warm in the water in a 7mm, but when you exit in 60 cloudy weather, brrrrrrrrrr. Have lots of warm and dry towels nearby and the ability to add warm water to your suit to warm up.

I bought my drysuit used through my LDS at a really great savings. If you check out the WTS forum in SB, you will find MANY people selling drysuits and at very good savings. There is nothing wrong with buying used. If you buy used through an LDS, ask for new seals in the deal. If you buy through the forum, expect new seals, <$100 in most cases.

Also, check out the quarries for the drysuit demo days. I can't remember the details, maybe someone else will post...

But DUI has a demo day at Gilboa, and I think White's will be at WhiteStar. I'm probably wrong, and I'm sure Portage has a drysuit demo also. You can try out different drysuits this way.

You may also want to consider taking the PADI drysuit speciality (even if you don't own your own suit). I believe LDS' will rent you a drysuit if you have the specialty card. Then, if conditions are optimum for a drysuit you can rent one.

I think you really need to identify when and how often you think you will dive outside of the summer months (May - October). If you are considering doing early spring and late fall diving, a drysuit is a good investment. I have done winter diving in my drysuit and have become hooked on the conditions. Next year I will do my ice course.

In September, when I took my OW, if someone suggested I would be diving in January I would have scoffed. Under ice - no way. The drysuit however, has opened the opportunities to me.

Good luck.

If you can afford a drysuit then dry is the way to go. You "can" dive wet but you may enjoy dry dives better. Another option you may consider is to rent a suit. I don't know where in Ohio you are located but the LDS I use in Columbus does rent DUI drysuits once you have a drysuit specialty card. My wife doesn't like the cold so she only needs a drysuit for a couple of dives a year in Gilboa. She took the specialty class and rents (when I make her go with me) and it works just fine.

I would like to add some also. Everyone mentions the good reason for a drysuit. So far all anyone has mentioned is quarries. when and if you are ready to expand your diving to the great lakes. The temps barely if ever reach above 50 degs, in the summer months at depth. So when your ready to expand your diving going dry is the better option. Now price were mentioned. Yes drysuits cost more. As you will notice one person has already spent the money to upgrade his wetsuit he could have just went dry for a little more. Buying a used drysuit isnt like buying a used car. The only thing wrong usually is you need new seals. All drysuit need those replaced eventually, even if you buy them new. Now here is how you look at it. Yes it cost more but it will greatly expand your dive season and your comfort level on your SI's. Yes I even have used my drysuit in Florida on cold blustery days. Plus a drysuit if well cared for will last a long time. I have had my drysuit for 6 years and all I have had to replace is the neck seal. You wont get that kind of wear out of a wetsuit. Also with a glove and ring system your hands wont get wet either. I got a feelling that will be Gnats next purchase.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom